FFP Coilover instructions

mdelorie

Hey, anyone got the PDF instructions from the website? I just recently received mine, and can't get the PDF off the site anymore (file not found)

help!

pm me your email, and i'll send you teh PDF when I get the chance.

quite a long time, actually... well over a month... probably 6 or 8 weeks... but I ordered the torque struts at the same time, and they claimed they were out of stock when I ordered them.

So I spent a large portion of today swearing at my rear suspension (read: I started the swap). Am I going about this the right way? I've taken the brakes off, and the jack pad and spring retainers for the old monoleaf. Next should I remove the trailing arms (I'm replacing those while I'm at it, with the GM Performance Parts tubular ones), then take the spring out by jacking up the knuckles, undoing the struts, and then lowering the whole works?

basically.....take one strut out, then loosen the monoleaf holders in the middle of the car.

twist that knuckle assembly out of the way, then the leaf will snap to the floor....then take the other strut out and get the spring out the rest of the way.

don't have to completely take apart the lat. link arms...just loosen them on the knuckle.

• 2 weeks later...

So... all seems to be progressing fairly well given the huuuuuuge scope of the project (it's taking way longer and way more manual effort than I expected) :razz:

Anyways, about the coilovers themselves. How the hell do you go about adjusting them? I see three little holes drilled into the bottom cuff. Are these for some sort of tool to apply torque with? Also, should I be applying grease to the sleeve to help it move a little better? I haven't got it all together yet, but I forsee some trouble there.

Also, a strange thing about my coilovers. For the two upper mounts, one of the rubber biscuits is regular rubber, while one is - I'm pretty sure - Poly. Has anyone else had this happen? Should I call and complain? I can't see it being a big deal... but it is kinda weird.

I had something else to ask, but it completely slipped my mind... oh well, what else is new.

I'll post pics when I'm done.

Thanks folks

both of my discs were poly

and it took me maybe 2 hrs to put them in.....

not sure what the holes are there for....i have them too....but IDK.

I didn't put grease on, but some anti-seeze on the set screw is a MUST.

....put it on liberally.

or it'll get stuck in there....

Two hours you say? This is taking me like two weeks :P

Mind you, all my tools are manual and the old parts are pretty rusted all to hell.

I don't suppose anyone would be interested in buying the new trailing arm bolts that I bought from GM? Upon getting mine off, I realized they're still good, so I might as well sell the new ones to recover some of my cost.

Any takes?

Guest TurboSedan

Anyways, about the coilovers themselves. How the hell do you go about adjusting them? I see three little holes drilled into the bottom cuff. Are these for some sort of tool to apply torque with? Also, should I be applying grease to the sleeve to help it move a little better? I haven't got it all together yet, but I forsee some trouble there

those holes in the adjuster nuts are actually for a spanner wrench so you can adjust them that way:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HAL%2DT114W&N=700+%2D109674+115&autoview=sku

make sure you loosen that set screw before adjusting them, and don't over torque it. i would apply some anti-seize to the threads on the set screw. mine froze in place and i stripped them out.

Thanks for the tips guys. I finally got everything re-assembled and together tonight. I'm hoping my rear brakes will automatically readjust themselves? I rebuilt one caliper, and I machined the rotors and replaced the pads on both, but they don't seem very tight at present. As far as I know, I got all the air out of the lines... but... maybe not?

Also, my main aim for this project was to get rid of a really annoying clunk that my rear suspension had been making while going over bumps. Alas, the clunk is still there :evil: So I'm thinking it either has to be the bushings on the lateral link arms, or the rear wheel bearings themselves. Any thoughts?

is the clunk on the right side of the car?.....if so, mine has made that sound since I got it 7 yrs ago.....I have no idea what it is.....unless it is a lat link arm....that is all i have left to replace on the susp.....

It might also be something in the trunk too....but idk.

I'm not really sure... It seems to be coming from both sides... but I'll have a better listen and see if I can pinpoint the exact location.

Pictures are up on my space http://delorie.spaces.live.com

Anyone have any insight into those brakes? Are they going to tighten up the more I drive them / work them? or do I have something wrong? The pedal is awful loose right now.

That Monte's my girl dude! But wow, does she need a lot of work. Body's in good shape, but the frame's all rotted out. So I'm pretty sure that it's gonna be damn near 10 grand to get the frame that I want (blasted and powder coated).

But yeah, I've got the Lumina back on the ground now, alignment tomorrow... I"m gonna make sure my ride height is right tonight then take some pictures maybe.

Yeah, but I've got the rear cranked up pretty high. The coilover only has another inch of travel before it would reach the top of the cuff. The rear used to sit a full inch and a quarter below the front before I put the coilovers in