1991-1993 GRAND PRIX GT COUPES!!!! (?) What's the deal exactly!?

ChurBoywithALLthemGRANDS

This is the FIRST 91-93 GT I've ever seen w/ a LQ1 in it(I don't think it's an authentic GT, if it were, there would be no reason to have a "GTP" package in those years. The GT to my understanding is basically a GTP offered w/ a 3.1 MPFI instead of the LQ1.) Every 91-93 GT I've come across over the years had a 3.1 MPFI engine. Out of the ones I've seen, at least two had the crappy luggage rack spoiler on them as pictured on this '91(took this picture a couple of years ago, this car had grey leather quad buckets, HUD & DIC, sunroof, etc.) I can dig up a few more pictures of this '91 if anyone is interested, I know I took a dozen or so pictures of the car at the time.

forsaleGPGT91side.jpg

Okay, per my good buddy FastTBird.....I MOVED this conversation over here.

Alright....Here's what I know. In 1991 (POST TGP year :frown:) GRAND PRIX COUPES WERE AVAILABE in "SE" "GT" and "GTP" models. By MODELS, I don't mean "SE" with the 'GT package' on the window sticker, but the car's doors still read "GRAND PRIX SE". The MOST (by far!) RARE is DEF the "GRAND PRIX GT" coupes in these years. I've seen 10 X's as many TGP's as I have "GT"'s. Even though there's nothing 'SPECIAL' about them, in fact all they ARE is an "SE" (that DEF has the LQ1) with emblems that say "GRAND PRIX GT".

As far as I know...ALL options (meaning the DIC, AQ9's [w/ rear buckets], and HEADS-UP) were available on the "GT's" but I've NEVER seen ANY 1991-1993 "SE" with all of these optioins. Also, apparently it's MORE common to see a '91-'93 GTP with ALL of those options.

I could be wrong, but I'm ALMOST 100% sure they never made a "GRAND PRIX GT" coupe available with the 3.1. (although, I HOPE they did, b/c I'm putting the emblems on my '92 "SE" w/ B4U.

and YEAH dude, if you could FIND and POST those pictures....that would MAKE MY DAY!

thanks for THIS one. Seriously, it IS a good 'bet' to make with somebody. (obviously nobody from w-body.com though, lol) Somebody who's fairly young (or OLD for that matter! haha) who owns a 97+ GP.....tell them you have a PRE-97 GP GT, 9 out of 10 times they'll tell you, "No way, they never made one!"

tell them you bet them $100 bucks they did, and FIND one (in real life SOMEwhere) and collect your money! haha

Alright guys, keep adding the info you know to this thread. It's fun!

ALso, please TRUST ME, I have a lot of trust in you guys.......so if you tell me there was NEVER (for sure) a PRE-91 GP GT coupe, then I believe you!

The one I saw had a badging discrepancy I guess. I'm still going to look into it though. It DID have EVERY option for that year and was the style of the LOADED 1989-1990 GP's. (with the '2nd best' ground effects, w/the DUALS for that year at least, but NOT the B4U ones like on the TGP)

It had the 2.8 MPI, MOONROOF, Heads/Up, Gray CLOTH AQ9's, cd player! Yeah, a 1989 w/ the factory CD player......and the matching (WHITE) 15" alloys.

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

Yeah, that looks to be an SE to me. The only thing I question is the factory CD in an '89 thing. As we all know, they had the three piece radio, and a CD player wouldn't quite fit.

But, to carry on from the last thread...

The only way you could get an LQ1 GP sedan in 94-96 is with the GT package. They all got louvres and GT badges, as well as buckets and a console. Typically they have leather too, or at least the better looking cloth.

That's really about all I have left to contribute to this subject. Someone needs to get ahold of some solid information on the 91-93 GT, or this is pointless. It's all just hearsay.

91-93 GT's do not all have LQ1's in them, I *believe* that none of them did unless they could be specifically ordered that way(as I've said about 2-3x now in places where you've posted, every GT I've come across was a 3.1 MPFI car). What sense would it make to have a "GT" badge when it would just be another GTP if the car had all options along w/ the 3.4 engine? I emailed Pontiac about the 91-93 GT's for what it's worth. I'll post here when I hear back from them...I sent the email tonight, so it'll probably be a day or two.

BTW, the old post I mentioned where Gnat', myself, and others were discussing GT's seems to be gone. It was from about 2002 or 2003ish... :cry:

91-93 GT's do not all have LQ1's in them, I *believe* that none of them did unless they could be specifically ordered that way(as I've said about 2-3x now in places where you've posted, every GT I've come across was a 3.1 MPFI car). What sense would it make to have a "GT" badge when it would just be another GTP if the car had all options along w/ the 3.4 engine?

everyone that I have seen (3 or 4 of them) have all had the LQ1 and were completely loaded :shrug:

the white car is an SE

Oh yeah I know.... just posted THAT pic to show that bodystyle I saw that "Grand Prix GT" on the doors...looked from-the-factory as hell! Weird...Yeah, haha...I guess it didn't have a CD player. You're RIGHT. I'm mixing the '89 up with the one '90 I drove. SO yeah....

but that '89 that SAID "GT" on the doors was LOADED.

Toro, both "GT" models I've seen had the LQ1....and yah man I agree, but GM is weird like that.

I don't know??

I found my pictures of the '91 GT(Vin T/3.1 car, note the redline on the gauge cluster picture :wink:).

forsale91GPfront.jpg

forsale91GPGT.jpg

forsale91GPGTsunroof.jpg

forsale91GPGTwindowswitch.jpg

forsale91GPhud.jpg

forsale91GPGTrear1.jpg

It's not in view, but the driver's seat on that car was trashed(back was taped up w/ duct tape :lol:).

forsaleGPGTinterior.jpg

forsale91GPGTgaugecluster.jpg

forsaleGPGT1.jpg

that one is obviously a 3.1, the ones that I have seen also have the hood louvers

Are you sure you're not thinking of the 94+ GT sedans? I've never seen a 91-93 GT w/ louvers.The 94-96 GT's have them for a fact though.

A GTP without the 3.4...my dream car. :lol:

Thanks for posting those pics...I've never seen anything like that before.

You're welcome. Hopefully I'll be able to add more GT pictures soon, I see at least one around here about once a month.

EDIT:(geez, I'm the most post-editing mother****** alive :lol:) - I have found some information on some review type websites stating that the 3.4 liter DOHC was an available option on *all* model levels except the LE's, so I guess 3.4 GT's are possible. And darn, I forgot to ask Pontiac about the possibility of hood louvers on a 91-93 GT...I suppose they might have been added w/ the DOHC's though.

Here's a quote from the car review site I was looking at.

1991 - "In place of the turbocharged 3.1-liter V6 sits a brand-new 3.4-liter, double-overhead-cam, 24-valve V6. Where the turbocharged engine provided 205 horsepower, the new engine delivers 210 horsepower with a 5-speed manual and 200 horsepower with GM's new electronically controlled 4-speed automatic. The new engine is an available option on all other Grand Prix models, except the LE sedan."

that one is obviously a 3.1, the ones that I have seen also have the hood louvers

Are you sure you're not thinking of the 94+ GT sedans? I've never seen a 91-93 GT w/ louvers.The 94-96 GT's have them for a fact though.

I know the difference between a coupe and a sedan....and you already said that every 91-93GT that you have seen had the 3.1 so obviously it wouldn't have the louvers

I just heard back from Pontiac, they confirmed(although, I had earlier too :lol:) that the GT's could recieve the 3.1 or 3.4's.

"1991 Grand Prix Production Total

2-Door Coupe - GT = 2,546

The 3.1L V6 with 4-speed automatic transmission was standard, the 3.4L DOHC 24-valve V6 engine with 5-speed manual or an electronically controlled 4-speed automatic was available."

1992 Grand Prix Production Total

2-Door Coupe - GT = 1,380

The 3.1L V6 with 4-speed automatic transmission was standard, the 3.4L Twin Dual Cam V6 with 5-speed manual or electronically controlled 4-speed automatic was available"

1993 Grand Prix Production total

2-Door Coupe - GT = 932

The 3.1 L V6 with an electronically controlled 4-speed automatic transmission was standard, the 3.4L Twin Dual Cam V6 with 5-speed manual or an electronically controlled 4-speed automatic was available."

I forgot to ask about whether or not they got hood louvers, but oh well. :willynilly:

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, very nice! How Long have you had it? There was an identical car listed on cars.com with 64k or so miles on it, Guy was asking $2000. I probably would have went for it had I not just bought a 90 SE which is the same color combo interestingly.

• 2 weeks later...

i have not had it for very long. i think that it was on cars.com, possibly, but i found it on my local craigslist and it was up for 2000. it now has 65K on it and i picked it up for 1800. i think that it might have been the one that you saw. Do you live in the chicagoland area? Its a good car for me, a 16 year old high school kid.

• 3 weeks later...

That is certainly the car that I saw; now that you mention chicagoland. I actually live in the Green Bay Wisconsin area. Apologize for the delayed response. I really like the 91-93 GT; they are uncommon and to find one with low miles like that is pretty cool! I just found it so ironic that I found this car you have (when is was for sale) within a week after I bought the 90 SE that I have now since mine is the exact color combo, red exterior, camel interior, color keyed wheels; it's got 100,000 miles. I'll have to change my sig sometime. I bought the 90 from a guy in the Milwaukee area.