the long nap is over

Garrett Powered

bought this car 1/10/06 for $500 and paid almost $1000 to ship it here. so here it is, a $1500 TGP black/gray leather, 118,638 mile, no sunroof. `8/3/00 a reciept read 118,112 miles so a little over 500 miles got put on it in the last 6 years. took me almost exactly six months to get it running. I fixed about 50 things on it in those six months though on the interior, under the hood and had the gas tank out and new fuel pump. had to rip out some stupid "custom work" a shop did which included a front mount intercooler hack-job. :twisted: and replaced it with a polished aluminum blackstone smic complete with A/C fin mod. :gr_grin: had to take out the turbo and replace it with a french made t-25 with a polished aluminum compressor housing I got off e-bay. Lucky I had a spare x-over pipe, this one had short welds on the turbo flange and no flex bellows and leaked really bad.

so anyway, as far as the first drive goes, that went better than expected. I replaced all sensors, wires and plugs, relays, couplings, dist. gear O-ring, TB bypass, cleaned TB, vac.harness, boost controller, boost lines, oil return tube, and swapped out old fluids.... all before I could drive it of course... so it just fired right up today after about 30 seconds of cranking. minimal smoking from the exhaust and stuff, so then I had to drive it around and go get the tires pumped up. all, well..most of the electrical gadgets started working better once the alt started regulating the charging system. the new 2 gauge charge wire and cleaned up/ repaired grounds I have been doing paid off here, so thats a plus. but the dash background lights still dont want to fire and the brake lights decided not to work. looks like brake light switch time and red LED tail light swap time. :mad: slap in a new gauge cluster and go from there. I already changed out the slider switch and that wasnt it.

the thing handles really good, brakes have a catch to them, they work , but kinda hesitate in a way before they clamp-down. hard to tell, its been sittin for a while but it was a prior unit they put in 500 miles ago. boosts up real nice and shifts firmly in OD and everything! awesome for the first drive.

How did this "hack job" FMIC setup route anyways out of curiosity? Since I can't find any dimisions on A/C condensors to hopefully find a shorter one, other ideas can be considered. A brand new FMIC sitting in our garage for 2 years tends to make one upset.....

How did this "hack job" FMIC setup route anyways out of curiosity? Since I can't find any dimisions on A/C condensors to hopefully find a shorter one, other ideas can be considered. A brand new FMIC sitting in our garage for 2 years tends to make one upset.....

get a Buy/sell acct. w/e-bay. shouldnt be too hard to sell. better than cluttering up the garage. maybe sell it for a couple bucks at a yard sale :wink:, J/K!!!!!!!

I guess I could post up some pics if anyone is interested.

well heres a pic anyway :mrgreen: of before, well after I ripped into it slightly. earliest pic I can find right now. * edit* damn, its taking me all day to get these few pics.

2056262_122_full.jpg

2056262_126_full.jpg

get a Buy/sell acct. w/e-bay. shouldnt be too hard to sell. better than cluttering up the garage. maybe sell it for a couple bucks at a yard sale :wink:, J/K!!!!!!!

I guess I could post up some pics if anyone is interested.

No No, its not being sold any time soon....like I said, how did this FMIC setup route? I'm not to worried about people saying that they don't think a FMIC would really benefit much on these cars....I have it, I want it on....Considering the coolant runs 40 degrees cooler going down the freeway, surely a Front Mount would help cool the intake temps too :willynilly:

Well I think that a fmic would be a terrible idea for our car, thats why I ripped it out and never even tried to run the car with it on there. the stock intercooler is the best part of the TGP set-up. and, with so many other easier ways to get performance gains, and so many ways to improve the stock IC set up for ice cold air to get to your motor. whats the point? I insulated the upper and lower pipes from radiant heat, performed the A/C fin mod, and paint stripped the IC. after seeing the fmic set-up in person, believe me you would laugh your ass off! not only does it restrict vital air flow from circulating hot gasses from exiting as you drive. It also looked like crap and they used the same painted blackstone IC, just mounted it up front. they had to hack up the lower air dam(not the valence, which was completely busted out too :lol:) the one that points down like a mud flap up front. and you could see the pipes hanging down from the front.

so if you dont want your car to ever be the same again for a mod with no proven gains.....have fun!!! :lol: I can get the stock set-up to run super efficient WAY easier. and if it still doesnt win over a giant aftermarket IC, I got other tricks up my sleeve as well.

these sound cool. I think they are flowmasters. It doesn't say it anywhere, but thats what they look and sound like. It takes away most of the gurgly sound and replaces it with lower and quieter, yet it carries farther and you can hear it in the driver seat as you roll down the block. A constant low rumble that gives it more of a V-8 feeling. and not even close to a fart-can sound, so I guess I like it.

2056262_123_full.jpg

I think this is going to be my new performance platform. the other car is still gonna run and be a good grocery getter, but it no longer has overdrive and much louder motor from all the hard miles. this new car is way quieter running motor with a awesome tranny that has snappy shifts and is obviously a stock tgp unit. so I will be de-tuning the sunroofed TGP and put the jeff m chip and x-over on my new car after it gets a paint job and its valence on it. that way at all times I will have 2 running TGPs but the daily driver will always be the faster one.and I got another spare motor and tranny I will take my time to build for my first one which is now retired to the garage for a few years. besides that the system got jacked and it will take a little while to put in the new one.

the trailer hitch came with it, don't know what its for. Its one of those really small recievers though and might pull like 1 jetski on it, but you never see them that small on any trucks ever... I might take it off, I dont know yet.

I think this is going to be my new performance platform. the other car is still gonna run and be a good grocery getter, but it no longer has overdrive and much louder motor from all the hard miles. this new car is way quieter running motor with a awesome tranny that has snappy shifts and is obviously a stock tgp unit. so I will be de-tuning the sunroofed TGP and put the jeff m chip and x-over on my new car after it gets a paint job and its valence on it. that way at all times I will have 2 running TGPs but the daily driver will always be the faster one.and I got another spare motor and tranny I will take my time to build for my first one which is now retired to the garage for a few years. besides that the system got jacked and it will take a little while to put in the new one.

the trailer hitch came with it, don't know what its for. Its one of those really small recievers though and might pull like 1 jetski on it, but you never see them that small on any trucks ever... I might take it off, I dont know yet.

take it off...

I know I will, for the paint job and everything. but the thing needs spacers to bring it down a quarter inch so its not squishing into the back bumper. then I'll bolt it back on if I ever get that black Yamaha jetski of my dreams. I got a friend who builds trailers.

these sound cool. I think they are flowmasters. It doesn't say it anywhere, but thats what they look and sound like. It takes away most of the gurgly sound and replaces it with lower and quieter, yet it carries farther and you can hear it in the driver seat as you roll down the block. A constant low rumble that gives it more of a V-8 feeling. and not even close to a fart-can sound, so I guess I like it.

2056262_123_full.jpg

did anyone else notice something terribly wrong in this pic :lol:

what? exhaust tips sticking out too far?

Nope, kinda sorta close.

Are you gonna haul that car, or haul with that car? :mrgreen:

what do you mean? haul ass with the car?

DAMN I hate doin those brake light switches :mad: I feel like I am going to die of a heart attack afterwards when I cant get back out from under the column.

:mad:

thakn god thats over. I never seen so many things broken at one time on any vehicle short of a Ford.

that and the fuel pump and the broken grounds on the engine block. the charge wire was 2 skinny red wires poorly crimped. the vac lines were hooked up all wrong. boost lines hooked up to the tranny. the manifold-to-tranny hard line was cut in half. How poorly did this thing run the last time they drove it? the poor souls dropped like $800 in custom mods at high priced shops. but nobody after that could get it going after they pulled the heads off and supposedly did $3000 in engine work.

Nope, kinda sorta close.

It has a trailer hitch. That is just plain wrong.......

My friend says he can build a trailer for the thing. all we need is to cut the trunk off a grand prix and the suspension. Yea it would be sick and wrong with a matching wheels trailer with 245 wide tires.

Nope, kinda sorta close.

It has a trailer hitch. That is just plain wrong.......

bingo.

Oh, BTW, that brake light switch is a pain in the ASS :lol:

I'm 6'5, 220 white guy, and i couldn't get my shit up in there. I'm too damn claustrophobic. That's why we ALL need mexican friends :lol: My buddy crawled up in there, i dunno how the fuck he managed to get himself practically seated under my floppy ass steering column, my seat, and under the dash, to get my brake light switch done

alright now I got red LED taillights, AND...dashlights!!!

Yay, my dimmer switch is broken too. the one for the bright headlights(not the dash dimmer) And when I did it on the other car I remember it being expensive. like $40 or something.

I guess being a little guy does come in handy at times.

Glad to see your getting another TGP back on the roads.

I aint no little guy by any means. 6'8" tall, 275 lb ex college basketball player. I was the starting center at NCC. in the northwest here. getting under there is always quite a problem for me. I got bruises on my back and elbow and gouges and cuts on my hands.

the only thing potentially worse than that was all the black widow spiders who lived on it for the last 6 years. they are everywhere on this car. big ones too, like the size of a quarter on up to a half dollar. had the big one almost crawl out on to my hand after removing a part. yes I screamed :rolleyes: like a schoolgirl. me and my friend Colby dont care though, and are not going to be stopped by anyone or any thing. he was the one to pull out the gas tank and stare one in the face while the car was up on jack stands. I got under there with the camera and take a pic of it. I might even get some graphics air brushed on the hood or roof, I dont know though.