rubbing compound (3M) ?

THe_DeTAiL3R

At work I use 3M perfect-it III extra cut compound. I see the Perfect-it II (older stuff) for much cheaper on e-bay. Is there much of a difference?

I'm still gonna stick with the 3000 Swirl Mark remover though, that stuff is the shit.

Not sure if this will help, but I found these product descriptions of each doing a quick search.

"3M 05973 Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound is Specially designed medium cutting, liquid compound for removing 1200, 1500, and 2000 color sanding scratches in automotive paints including clear coats.

Produces minimal compound swirl marks while buffing to a high gloss. Use with 3M Perfect-It Foam Compounding Pad, part number 05723."

"3M 05933 Perfect-It III Rubbing Compound is a Superior compound that completely removes sand scratches while leaving an ultra fine finish.

Our finest compound to date! This product combines superior cut with a high gloss, ultra fine finish to completely remove sand scratches without filling. The new formula has little sling or spatter and is easily cleaned out of door jams, cracks and moldings."

I'd make a post on the autopia board or search there at least, I'm sure they've probably had a discussion about this before. By the way, the price for the "II" was $5 cheaper per quart than the "III" where I was looking. The II was $15.99 and the III was $20.99...