caliper paint dupli color

2CUTTYS

Yep. I used the red "kit" on my calipers and painted the brackets with Dupli-Color high-temp ceramic engine paint (aluminum.)

brakestuff.jpg

calhang2.jpg

calafter.jpg

192mounted.jpg

If you use the "caliper" kit, do yourself a favor and pick up a dozen or so small paintbrushes from Wal-Mart, 'cause the brush that comes with the kit falls apart after one application.

A year after applying the paint, it hasn't flaked off, and the brake dust easily washes off, so overall I'd say it's an excellent product...

My uncle used that same kit on his car, he said it was a bitch to do and will never do it again. Thats why I havent done anything to mine yet.

:lol: I applied the shit in 90*+ weather with 100% humidity, and it still went well for me! Totally not a bitch to do. If you take the time to do everything right (remove both the calipers and brackets and paint them separately) it will go smoothly. As I mentioned, you absolutely need to buy a dozen or so extra paintbrushes, otherwise it will be a total bitch to paint all 4 calipers with the supplied brush. Also buy an extra couple cans of brake cleaner :wink: ...

I was thinking of painting them the same color as the car, but Im worried about the clear coat holding up to the heat. Im kinda thinking it wont.

I'm going to paint my calipers red when I get my slotted and cross-drilled rotors from the guy on Clubgp. How well does this paint work??

well I bought the kit and going to do them this week some time I hope . I will be doing alot to the car before the 16th . Going to put it in a Car show for city "FUN AND FEED DAYS" The town of about 30,000 and mb 50 cars will be in it. This will be my sons first show with the 94and it will be good for him to meet people. Do the panit brush marks show up ?

The paint brush marks aren't very noticeable.

Just buy the kit, and a set of kids paint brushes, and have fun. It's easy to do, don't really have to do the whole caliper or take it off if you don't feel like it since you can only see part of the caliper when it's on with wheels.

i want to do mine, but there isnt any color that I want to do that would look right. No red or yellow, maybe blue if i can find a dark enough one, but i wanted a dark green if i could find it...

Then take the red and yellow and mix then add black till you get the dark green. i am going with white and caling the car,THE WHITE KNIGHT. If its not white its not right :thumb:

I'm going to be redoing mine with that kit (in red). But I'm just painting the whole caliper red (including the bracket) so I'll just paint them on the car and not bother to remove them. It's not like you can see them in great detail behind the crosslace anyways...

taking the calipers off seems like a huge PITA just to paint them. I was looking forward to just leaving them on there.

It really isn't a pain at all. There's always the chance that you could dribble paint on the part of the rotor that you aren't able to tape off :wink: .

As far as brush marks, they don't show up at all. After the paint dries, the caliper almost looks like it's powdercoated. I gave my calipers each 3 coats of the caliper paint, and the brackets 2 coats of the high-temp engine paint. I also painted the heads of the caliper and bracket bolts with the engine paint...

Then take the red and yellow and mix then add black till you get the dark green. i am going with white and caling the car,THE WHITE KNIGHT. If its not white its not right :thumb:

HAHA Dude your going to end up with PINK calipers HAHA :lol: :lol: :lol:

I want to try this, but I don't think I like the shade of blue they have. This is the color I have now, just a regular candy-apple blue spray:

ee85bcf3.jpg

(That's my XMODS '67 Firebird, BTW.) It almost looks anodized, it's a beautiful color, but it just doesn't last- it fades, peels, etc., despite my best surface prep efforts. The Duplicolor blue is almost a powder blue, not sure if I'll like it. Still looking for good pics of someone w/ blue Duplicolor calipers... ;)

How long did it take you to do this? Including letting it dry till you can drive it again.

Plan on 2 to 2 1/2 hours per caliper. Most of that time will go into the prep work. Applying the paint is actually the easy part. I cleaned off each caliper and bracket with brake cleaner, then scuffed them good with some 100 grit sandpaper and cleaned them again. The 100 grit knocked all of the rust loose, and also left a good surface for the paint to "bite" into.

I didn't drive my Regal for at least a week after I got all 4 calipers painted, but I wouldn't have waited that long if I was using it as a daily driver. I'm sure if you gave it 6 to 8 hours, it'd be fine...

I am going to prep them by soaking with cleaner then brushing with steel brush Then getting out the powerwasher turn up heat and a spinner tip with a zero tip and wash off . Then go grab a towel and heat gun to dry well wipe with clean dry towel the starting the process of painting them. Son said , "maybe we should add por 15 to help rust pervention even more"? Maybe he is finally getting interested in his car now :cheers:

Using a heat gun will melt the rubber piston seals :wink: . The Brake Cleaner will evaporate, so if you're hell bent on getting out the 'ole pressure washer, douse 'em again with brake cleaner afterward instead of using a heat gun...

Okay people. Taking your caliper off for this "project/mod" is NOT needed. You are just doing extra work. I bought the kit, popped my wheels off, scrubbed with soapy water, scrubbed with brake cleaner, dried, and painted away. Here is the end result and I have done this twice (red and black)

IMGP0054.jpg

looks good to me and everyone that sees it.