those of you that converted PMIII to vacuum brakes....

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

well i got the TSTE dash all back together with a firewall plate from an '88 Grand Prix with vacuum brakes/5-speed. now i can mount the booster and master cylinder. new brake pedal and clutch pedal is in, as well as entire clutch hydraulic system etc.

- do i need to replace all the brake lines to each caliper? or just the rear? i was just planning on getting brake lines from a j/y car since rust isn't really an issue around here.

- what should i do with all of the wiring that went to the old PMIII master cylinder? or the ABS computer under the passenger seat? and what do i need to do (if anything) to keep the DIC from freaking out and beeping like crazy?

TIA

when I did this to my TGP, I just bought bulk brake line and custom bent it. As long as you bend it slow it can be done. I didn't want to try to fight out the old brake lines. I only replaced the rear lines.

As for the wiring I just cut it all out, my DIC has no problems, I pulled the computer as well. I removed all the wiring that I could get to. The Brake light on the dash will light up though. I am in the process of figuring out how to make it so it doesn't (Without pulling the bulb) I'm going to try and make it so it will only light up when you are low on fluid, I know it can be done, I just have to find the right wires.

Mitch

Guest TurboSedan

cool thanks :) i think i'm going to try to avoid cutting any wires though. my TSTE had a big sound deadening blanket thing on the firewall but the '88 5-speed GP i got parts from had a metal firewall shield instead of the blanket so i snagged it. there should easily be enough space to coil up the wiring and hide it out of sight behind the metal firewall shield. i'll probably just unplug the ABS computer and remove it.

i took a quick look at the rear brake lines on the '88 5-speed GP and they didn't look too hard to get them out of there. if i gotta bend up my own lines that won't be too hard though. my brother just replaced ALL of the brake lines on his Shelby with lines from NAPA so i'll have some help :) he bent them all up by hand and it turned out great so hopefully the TSTE's lines won't be too hard if i end up doing that.