inner wheel wells

Psych0matt

Inner wheel wells dirty? having trouble reaching those hard to reach areas? well have I got a product for you... :willynilly:

anyways, last time i washed i scrubbed them down pretty good, and they still looked dirty. oh a whim when i was about done i decided to use the last little bit of tire shine (spray, not the foaming kind that i like better) and just sprayed away in there. after i did them they look a million times better, black and shiny. it looks like i actually take the time to do everything!

you can see where I stopped going up any higher

egg.jpg

yolk.jpg

shell.jpg

That'd be a good use for any left over armor-all that you may have. I mean, it HAS to be good for something, right ?? :lol:

Anyways, looks pretty good :thumb:

Your wheel wells are still dirty.. lol

I spray the hell out of them with tire cleaner/degreaser, and powerwash throughly... that usually makes it look good enough. Although, I do often spray some tire shine in there just for bonus effect :cool:

On used pickups, I give the frame under the box a quick spray of rubber undercoating... wow does that ever make them look better!!!

I actually clean mine really well, and then apply a little tire shine. Another thing that helps if you wheel wells are in pretty bad shape is recoating them with a light coat of rubberized coating(aerosol can). I resprayed the parts of the fenderwells that were originally coated on my '93 and they looked 10x better(a lot of the original coating was gone after 240,000 miles).

I actually clean mine really well, and then apply a little tire shine. Another thing that helps if you wheel wells are in pretty bad shape is recoating them with a light coat of rubberized coating(aerosol can). I resprayed the parts of the fenderwells that were originally coated on my '93 and they looked 10x better(a lot of the original coating was gone after 240,000 miles).

Yup, thats the way to do it!

undercoat008.jpg

Rubberized undercoating, when it gets old, traps moisture and promotes rust. It starts invisibly, but then you start noticing this odd bulge like a pimple. Poke at it with a screwdriver and a chunk comes out with dark, brown/black rust. Keep poking and you may find a rather large hole.

Tire shine is the safer way to go, IMO.

Yeah, but since the wheel wells are already undercoated with what looks to be the same exact stuff from the factory, I dont see what harm it could do. :confused:

Huh, my cars don't have any black undercoating that's factory. The 89 has some black aftermarket undercoating that has dried up and comes off when I hose the wheel wells. I seem to recall it might have some factory undercoating, but it seemed to be a spray-on urethane that is sealed and painted over. My memory could be foggy though, I'd have to check it again. At any rate, I don't think any black undercoating is factory.

I think every GM car I've owned has had the textured black coating in the wheel wells. I know all my toros did too. I'm not saying it's exactly the same as undercoating, but it looks similar. Mine was cracking and rusting in a few spots before I resprayed it.

Must have been dealer added. Most W's I've come across have it too, I assumed it was aftermarket because just about every new and used car dealer pushes undercoating when they sell a car (or at least they used to). The only W I've seen that didn't have it was our 88 that came from California and also had California emissions. I figure dealers don't bother pushing undercoating there. It's smooth as a baby's butt and is also the most rust-free of all the W's we have despite having had it since '95 and it being used heavily every winter.

I'd have to look in the convertible, but the two '94 SL's and the first 90 Q4 all had the undercoating ToroToro described.

The wierd thing is my '94 has California Emissions! Its from Long Island, NY

I'd have to look in the convertible, but the two '94 SL's and the first 90 Q4 all had the undercoating ToroToro described.

The wierd thing is my '94 has California Emissions! Its from Long Island, NY

What the hell does Califronia Emissions add anyways?

I live in Georgia, so I don't think I have to worry about rust on my W's for a loooongggg time. :wink: My '93 had the fenderwell coating on it since new(parents bought it early 1993 in Georgia), there's no other coating anywhere else on the car though. My '90 TGP has the coating in the fenderwells too, it was originally sold in South Carolina.

I am thinking about stripping that shit outta my wells, then using that truck bed liner stuff "Herculiner" I think it's called.... its like POR-15 with a texture to it.

My buick didn't have any undercoating in the wheel wells. But then again it was also a Florida car. Most customers probably wouldn't have shelled out the extra bucks to "prevent rust" around these parts.

I am thinking about stripping that shit outta my wells, then using that truck bed liner stuff "Herculiner" I think it's called.... its like POR-15 with a texture to it.

I had a buddy who put that stuff on the whole underside of his jeep... it looked awesome and was tough as nails, but the texture made it difficult to clean after mudding. I'm not sure if maybe there's something similar without the texture available out there that might be a little easier to keep clean.

Ditto. I definately have something similar to undercoating in my wheel wells that came stock on my cutlass. :dunno: