Lumina update.

warwgn3

Well we finally got the Lumina's rad leak fixed. It turned out that the plastic tank was cracked. We took it to a shop to see if they can fix it, but they wanted $500 to replace the whole rad. So we took the car back home, and instead removed the rad, and sent it out to be repaired for a mere $65. We re installed it yesterday, and it's running like a champ.

I also found out that I need a new cat con. We kept on hearing this rattling noise under the car, and thought it was just a loose pipe hanger or heat shield. I have a source for cat cons, so I'll order one up tomorrow, so we can get the emissions test over with.

I guess the only thing left to do after that is get the parking brake cables fixed up, so we can get it safetied.

On a side note, I got my camper trailer delivered to my house, a couple of weekends ago. We opened up to see what its like, and despite the canvas repairs it needs, It's still in decent shape. I also found that it weighs about 600 lbs. Not all that bad for a 35 year old tent trailer that was FREE. Have a look at some pics I took of it here: http://www.stillruns.com/land-barge/trailer.htm[br]Posted on: April 30, 2006, 16:44:21_________________________________________________Well, I can FINALLY see the light at the end of the tunnel!!

Last week I went and spent $185 on a new cat (meow) for the Lumi. I got the "direct fit" one that looks like an elephant's wang, so it will be quicker an easier to install. The Lumi is at the Certigard shop, down at the bottom of the hill right now, awaiting the installation of the new kitty.

So today, when I got off work, I loaded up the Firefly with a Hammer, 2 jacks(1 hydraulic, 1 ratchet), 2 jack stands and a pair of bolt cutters. I proceeded to my brother's shop to get an even bigger hammer and a couple of chisels. I then headed to the local junk yard to get a parking brake cable braket from under a car.

When I got there, I asked if I could take my car in, because I had some heavy tools to carry, and I was declined. I told them what I needed, and they told me they couldn't let me lift the car myself, and sent me to select a car ('95 GP SE), and to wait for the moverto lift the car, and have someone take the piece off for me. I patiently waited, sneezed, and blew snot rockets (allergies suck), for a good 2 hours, and I finally got my piece. They quoted $40 cash, so I whipped out my bank card, and they said "well, now it's $46". I told them I don't care, just my being here shows how badly I need that piece. (Union auto parts are expensive to the point of ripping you off). So I paid for said piece, then went on my marry way.

While trying to keep my Fire-Flea up to a reasonable speed, during a slalom course of weaving by loaded big rig tankers (suicide jockeys) that take a long time to acellerate, Old farts that don't realize they're driving 30 km/h *under* the limit, and stupid F.O.B. non's, that haven't mastered the art of checking blind spots before changing lanes, I eventually made it back to my brother's shop to return the borrowed tools, and to show him the piece and make sure it's the right one. He said it was, and I left the the piece with him to clean off for installation, as well as order 2 rear parking brake cables, while I went home.

All in all, every thing is finally falling in place. As soon as Certigard is done installing the pussy, the Lumi will go straight to my bro's shop to have the E-Brake installed, and a safety inspection.

just so you know, unless your doing the 94+ brake upgrade to your car the parking brake cables you just got probably won't work.

and you ought to be able to buy brand new cables at a parts store for what you paid.

other then that it sounds like your well on your way to having a excelent cruiser.

chris, yes I have already done the 94+ brake upgrade. I have the rear brakes of a 1994 GP installed on the car. my brother already ordered the cables from Car Quest. He'll be installing them himself.

i had just noticed in another thread where you mentioned the 94' brake upgrade, let us know how the e-brake install goes.

Well, It's getting closer!! I got the Lumina safetied, and insured last night. Went and picked a temperary pemit today from the MTO, so I have 10 days to drive it around, get the E-test done, and license it.

Well, It's getting closer!! I got the Lumina safetied, and insured last night. Went and picked a temperary pemit today from the MTO, so I have 10 days to drive it around, get the E-test done, and license it.

Awesome man...good to hear she's back into running order

FUCK!!! it FAILED the E-test!!! Probably because the cat con is too new, and I haven't broken it in long enough yet.

It failed on the ASM2525 test. The NO ppm limit was 408, and it read 779.

egr valve......

The pamphlet says:

NOx on Driving test:

- Inopertative/ineffective EGR system, (what you said)

- Excessively lean air/fuel ratio

- Malfnctioning or missing catalytic converter (3-way catalyst only)

- Exessive spark advance

- Faulty Thermostaic Air Cleaner system

- Engine deposits or mechanical defect

- Faulty cooling system.

I'm really hoping that it's just because the brand new cat con hasn't been driven long enough. I'm required to have the car pass the e-test for the ownership transfer. The $450 Repair cost limits, anc Conditional Passes are only for license plate renewals.

Remove the EGR valve from the plenum and clean out the 3 pintle in the bottom of it. Also, clean the passage way from the EGR into the plenum.

Well, My Dad's buddy offered to hook the Lumina to this diagnostic machine at a small shop beside my work, and fid out why it failed. He says I need a new O2 sensor, and EGR valve (like you guys said).

So I'm going to drop it off at Crappy tire to have them replace both, and I'll take it back to th E-test center.

Oh, and I learned something new about the car. If I hear it start to make a morning dove "whoo-ing" sound, I have to get gas. I was runnniing errands all day, and didn't know what that was, until the car started to sputter. I quickly pull in to the nearest gas station, and it stalled right infront of the pump! Talk about timing!!