1989 cutlass supreme international ELECTRIC POWER BRAKE - H E L P!!!!

chevy1

HI :)

my name is Maciek, I am from Warsaw, Poland

I am crazy about american cars.

I had 8 cars earlier (like chevy caprice x2, olds delta, gmc jimmy, chevy lumina apv, dodge neon and others)

now I have 9 american car:

Olds Cutlass Supreme International 1989 V6 2.8 automatic trans.

I own them about 1 month - car is in rather good condition (have only 70000 miles)

but when I buy them he was standing in one place about one year (dont drive)

I change front and rear rotors and brake pads, repair calipers with new bushing and remove old brake fluid with new one

MY PROBLEM IS:

CAR DON'T WANT TO BRAKEING!!!!!

when I push brake pedal I have to wait 2-3 seconds without any brake action, after this time brakes start to be strong and brakeing is very good, car stops fast

when I drive very slow - for example on the parking place - there is not "slight" brake - I have to push brake pedal very hard to stop the car

My mechanic said I have an electric power brake unit.

H E L P !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maciek

Try flushing the brake fluid (bleeding the brakes). If that doesn't work, try replacing the master cylinder

He's going to have a lot to replace.. he has the PowerMaster system. There are people here that know more than I do. I know it's not as simple as replacing the master cylinder.

I had to get rid of my 89 International due to PM3. I was told it was the 1700 dollar rare as gold master cylinder. I saw the car a little while later, the guy bought it at auction. He said it was a 200 dollar relay, I never looked into it.

Does the pump run when you step on the brakes? It sounds like an electric motor running. If it does run, and runs almost every time you step on the brakes, then the problem is probably a bad accumulator. I've heard you can get them for US$100 from http://www.priorreman.com/.

Accumulator is a highly pressurized cannister of nitrogen gas. It would make sense that over a year of sitting, it might slowly leak.

When you look at the brake unit, you will see a round metal can. That's the accumulator.

I'd personally try to bleed the brakes again.....my car suffered from a soft to very hard brake pedal...bled the brakes more and all is good now. Cheaper then replacing the acculator, but it sounds like it could be the accumumlator too....

I'd personally try to bleed the brakes again.....my car suffered from a soft to very hard brake pedal...bled the brakes more and all is good now. Cheaper then replacing the acculator, but it sounds like it could be the accumumlator too....

do you mean leaking of brake fluid from calipers or master cylinder

or

leaking vaccum pressure from accumumlator????????????

how could I check it on car without any tools???????

do you mean leaking of brake fluid from calipers or master cylinder

or

leaking vaccum pressure from accumumlator????????????

how could I check it on car without any tools???????

I noticed in your first post you mentioned that you replaced the brake fluid....but I was seeing if you are sure there was no air left in the system...from my experience with my car even the slightest bit of air in the brake lines willl result in a wierd feeling pedal at times, and other times it will feel fine.

I don't really know anything about the ABS system of these cars (my car is the non-abs vacumm system)...other then the parts seem to wear out.

Does the pump run when you step on the brakes? It sounds like an electric motor running. If it does run, and runs almost every time you step on the brakes, then the problem is probably a bad accumulator. I've heard you can get them for US$100 from http://www.priorreman.com/.

Accumulator is a highly pressurized cannister of nitrogen gas. It would make sense that over a year of sitting, it might slowly leak.

When you look at the brake unit, you will see a round metal can. That's the accumulator.

That would be how to tell if your accummulator is going bad....

I check it once again

my brake fluid in new, calipers have new rubber bushing and they are dont bleed with fluid

whole brake unit (like pump and others items) look quite new (I think it look like 1-2 years - comparing with rest of engine, and I think that somebody replaced them but not me)

when I press brake pedal (for example when engine is running and drive is on "D" or "R") car ofcourse dont drive

there is about every 10 second short "bzzzz" electric noise from brake pump