Intrigue Speaker Problems

marcusa

My Intrigue has the factory cassette HU and 12 CD-changer in the trunk and 6 speakers. I noticed when I got the car there were some loose wires hanging from between the two rear speakers, but never paid much attention to it. More recently the speakers were badly distorting and just way off.

I tried to figure out what was wrong myself and in the process blew a fuse (HU one) when I found a big red wire that ended into nothing in the trunk by accident when I dropped a ground between the trunk and seat backs. Turns out the noise was the wires touching. But while I was at it I tried to figure out if anything else was wrong and noticed the rear-left speaker is not making any sound (I'm partially deaf in the left ear from a loud noise a while back so it could always have been that way and I wouldn't notice) and now, a few months later the front-right speaker is distorting on the bass. Sounds like something is loose but I pushed against the trim hard and it didn't stop, so I'm thinking it might be the speaker itself.

Anyone have any thoughts? Also, anyone know if I can just pull the speaker cover/cubby out of the door or do I have to take the door panel off?

well if all the wires were hooked up correctly to the speakers, and it still sound like its distorted, it could simply be that they are blown. Which is what Im willing to bet.

You dont have to listen to music very loud to blow speakers. No its not normal, but the wires that go to my 6x9, one of the terminals was loose and kept falling off, which was fixed, but no.