Aurora V8s

89oldscutlass

I seen on here a few people talking about putting the Cady 4.9 in where there v6s are and how poor the performance are on the 4.9 and the cost. What i was wondering why nobody has suggested using the Olds Aurora V8 considering thats what Carol Shelby used in his new Shelby Series one and it seems to be a monster performance wise compared to the 4.9. All input is apreciated.

Aurora 4.0L is a Northstar 4.6L with smaller bore, but other than that, they are identical. So given the 2 choices, Northstar is more desirable.

The tranny won't come close to fitting.

My understanding is that the Aurora/Northstar V8's are too wide (from head to head) to fit. Not enough clearance firewall side, and a very tight squeeze radiator side.

The Aurora/Northstar engine is a MONSTER size-wise thanks to the heads. I believe they occupy more space than a 500cid (8.2L) Caddy big block V8.

It should fit fine into a 97+ Grand Prix, 98+ Intrigue, etc. though, but with minimal room to spare.

But when you think about it, if you are into a swap that intensive, making the nose and intern the engine bay a little longer wouldn't seem to be that big of a deal. You could re-build the entire front of the car using the Aurora parts, and then it would have a wider front wheelbase. You'd have to have some custom panels made to look like the original car. OK so the cost would be stupid expensive but it sounds like fun anyways

What i want to do is put a Northstar in a Aurora. TOG builds northstar headers. then run 2.5" catback and a 75shot of nos.

300hp Stock motor

~20hp TOG headers

75hp NOS

-----------------------

395hp at the crank +/-... not bad

RedZ

But when you think about it, if you are into a swap that intensive, making the nose and intern the engine bay a little longer wouldn't seem to be that big of a deal. You could re-build the entire front of the car using the Aurora parts, and then it would have a wider front wheelbase. You'd have to have some custom panels made to look like the original car. OK so the cost would be stupid expensive but it sounds like fun anyways

It would be easier and cheaper to put a C5 Corvette drivetrain under the car and be LS1 (or LS6) RWD with a balanced 50/50 weight ratio.

Also, extending the nose would require cutting up some unibody frame. I'd hate to see what the repercussions would be in event of an accident by messing with the unibody.

I've seen race car dragster frames with W-body shells put on them, and they extended the nose about 6" or so. IMO, it looks goofy and unbalanced.