what is a good muffler brand

stlunatics2oo3

I use a single Flowmaster 40 series 3 inch. It is quite loud, but it flows enough to keep the turbo happy, and it was the only 3 inch muffler avail to me locally when we decided to weld up the exahust.

Jason

i got 2 40 Series flows on my 93 GrandPRixSE wit the 3.4 and it sounds badass...i only got the mufflers though, im still going back for the whole cat back and perhaps talk to the guy there at the shop to see if he wuold be interested to make me some custom headers :D but less see wat happens

lol.. I woudln't know, I try to stay away from that cheap store:)LOL but I will take the Chevron oil:) Walker or Maremont is a good factory replacement. Thereis one other but I cant recall...

I have two Dynomax Ultra-Flow stainless mufflers ("dual" exhaust), two Edelbrock flat oval chrome tips (kinda like a trumpet effect like on the '68 442), and a Dynamax Super Converter high-flow cat. My 'ol 3.1 sounds damn near like an eight! Nice low grumble, but at WOT, the sound tends to die off. But at least my K&N cone filter takes over then. The exhaust I know added some ponies (especially seat-of-the-pants) and awesome sound. If the K&N did not add any power, it makes up for it in sound!

Adam

Yeah, I have the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, it flows enough so I gain performance without losing low-end torque, but um, I kick myself for not getting the Ultraflo Stainless. My muffler is nice, it was only $40, and it has a nice exhaust note, but it's a bit quiet and there still seems to be some backpressure above 2000 rpms, it just gets all quiet and powerless....

I'm hoping that this restriction in the air flow is my 11-year old non-high-flow cat. So, I'll keep this muffler until I get a high-flow cat installed, maybe that'll fix what ails me :)

If not

Oh well....there's always next time I guess.

and next time, I'll get that Ultraflo SS, fah shizzle

werd right, shun

-MaD-

My recomendations are:

Borla

Magnaflow

Dynoamax Ultra Flow

All are good high flow mufflers. i would also recomend upgrading your resonator if you reuse your stock piping or add one if you redo the piping.

If you replace your cat i would recomend Carsound 94006 (2.5" in/out). it is a 50 state 100% street legal High flow cat.

RedZ

We have resonators? Where are they located? I'd love to get rid of mine, if I have one...

91 CS sedan 3.1

-MaD-

Generally they are by the rear wheel. on the Z cars its right before they Y. i assume they put a small one in stock.

here is my borla kit being installed. the resonator is about where his hand is on the piping (same with my stock exhaust on the monte and the lumina) I also pollished the mufflers myself:

borlainst.jpg

RedZ

hey shane you are doing a catback right?! what mufflers are you gonna use

I am making mandrel bent midpipes. when they are ready you will need to get your own choise of mufflers. but my cars have 1. Borla Catback and 2. custom 2.5 catback with magnaflow mufflers.

RedZ

:?: I've heard that it's hard to get a good rich throaty sound from the 3.4. Can anyone reccomend a setup that would sound good but not too loud? I still want to enjoy my jam system but right now the car is quiet as a mouse w/ the stock settup.

I am having to think that my input on mufflers for a w-body isn't very helpful for the reason of having a cadillac motor (go figure) but still

I've got dual magnaflows and it sounds AWESOME!!!!.. I get some crackling when getting into it but a pretty deep rumble when idling down.. If you check out the design on the Magnaflows it's jus a slight bent pipe with holes through it. no baffles or nothing

If you look at my "bare bones" web site, created just to get some pics up...You'll see my dual dynomaxs'. I ended up puting sheet metal shaped into pipes into the resonator tips until I figure out my trouble. (it sends the exhaust straight through avoiding the resonator grid.)

I'm looking at replacing the cat, which is gone, or puting another muffler in its place. The rasp hits at around 2000 rpm and is an ugly a$$ sound (like blowing on a popped balloon end). It idles like a V8 4x4 and sounds tough until the rasp hits. It clears out some at higher rpms but It just won't do to leave it this way. My highway torque is most awesome though so I hate to add more backpressure.

The left side gets most of the exhaust, especialy when cold and it is noticably raspier. I plugged that side once to listen to the sound from one pipe. It was better but there. I wondered if the muffler was bad.

I would go for BORLA, i was thinking about putting a Flowmaster muffler on my Oldsmobile with 2.8 but never done it, but i put a cat back BORLS setup on my 02 Mustang GT and i got to say that it sounds better than Flowmasters. And 2.8 engine with borla will sound just like a v8