• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 92 GP

• Prospeeder

• THe_DeTAiL3R

• GutlessSupreme

Black inserts w/ polished face and lip would be cool, it hasn't really been done yet. I think it would probably look best if you got some aluminum center caps (don't paint the black ones).

Very cool, The reason it takes so long is the crosslaces on painted ones are very very poreus, has deep pores on it for the powder coat to stick, making it extremly time consuming.

Aircraft stripper will eliminate whatever you have on your wheels, and take it down to bare metal. That might save you some time on the sanding part.

That gold is tough as shit to get off, you can douse the things in aircraft stripper for an hour and it will take alot off, but i could not to save my life get them bare, it just wasnt going to happen, the gold stuck like a mofo

That gold is tough as shit to get off, you can douse the things in aircraft stripper for an hour and it will take alot off, but i could not to save my life get them bare, it just wasnt going to happen, the gold stuck like a mofo

so you are saying that the paint sticks better because it is gold??

Prospeeder is correct on the porous part. IIRC that's why someone once said that it was impossible.

But yea, i picked up some A/C stripper, so that SHOULD help, but we'll see. It's actually kinda nice having the gold in the little spots, so i can see EXACTLY what needs to be sanded, etc etc. We'll see though.

I'm pretty sold on the black inserts/polished face.

I think where the actual mesh meets with the lip, if you guys have seen up close, there's like a 1/8" recession there, i might do that in black. It's only maybe 1/8-3/16" wide, so it'd be a nice touch to keep it from looking too blingy

I dunno what it is, but that shit IS on there. And since the top part of the wheel IS porous, i think it helped it absorb in there some more. It really can't just be stripped/polished. THere's no way around it, it HAS to be polished. If you've EVER seen a scuffed/sanded x-lace, you'll know why. :twisted:

Yea i was thinking about my black wheels, those centers would look good.

For the polished one, i'm definately gonna get a set of the ABS aluminum capped ones, and polish'm up

Basicly the only color they came in :lol: Gold, or silver, wich were just clear coated but were smooth not all pourus i belive. RPE wheels im not really sure, cause the face is smooth but i dunno if under the painted areas it is or not. Oh and white! So the powdercoat or what ever itself is a bitch to get off

:P Believe me, I even thought about just about everything to get away from having to hand sand my WS6 snowflake rims for my T/A (same concept to the wheels) In the end, it was all elbow grease. :bash:

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a lot of work, but a cool look if you do it right. I am in the middle of paintin mine, so one side has no paint and sanded caps and the other side still has paint and black caps...looks totally stupid now, but should be cool when its done