Antennae alternative

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm looking for an alternative to my antenna. I don't like that stupid tall mast sticking up... I also don't want the power antenna, as I find them to break easy. Does anyone know if they make any sort of thing that replaces the tall mast and is just like some sort of flat piece that goes where the antenna once was but still picks up the frequencies?

I dunno about that, because the element should be in contact with the radio waves, and a shorter/no element wouldn't pick up stations as good as what you have now.

That being said, if you wanted to go real expensive you could replace the rear window with an antenna already built into it (like my mom's CL), or maybe there is something you can buy aftermarket that fits in the rear window..

I know when I first got my car I took the antenna off the car, and glued a piece of rubber over the stud, it worked fine while sitting, but when drivng the local stations would fade in and out.

Maybe you could just buy a smaller rubberide antenna like I use to have. They aren't nearly as high. I'll find a picture for you, but over time they bend from wind resistence and look like you've just done 100mph when the car is standing still lol)

Or you could also just the cut the antenna mask you have now to a short size, but on the end you'd have to put something on it so it isn't sharp.

Between the metal and rubber antennas I noticed very little difference in signal reception - I went out of town with the rubber one and had no problems. I only put the mteal one back on because the rubber one belongs to my RX-7

Rubber antenna:

6.jpg

With metal antenna, much longer

IM000371.jpg

just "shave" the antenna, so you have functionality but you don't have the ugly external antenna......I have done it on a Probe and a Fiero, it should be pretty easy to do on a w-body too...

i'd consider another power antenna, just remember to unplug the power source with it raised in the winter so it dosen't get destroyed. you should get alota life out of one that way.

how was the sound quality/reception? what exactly did you do?

The sound quality/reception was virtually unchanged....for the Probe, I shaved it on the outside and put the factory antenna along the rear quarter panel behind the plastic hatch pieces (pics below)

shavedant.jpg

shaveant2.jpg

Here is a pic of the Fiero antenna mounted behind the front quarter panel...

fieroant.jpg

i'd consider another power antenna, just remember to unplug the power source with it raised in the winter so it dosen't get destroyed. you should get alota life out of one that way.

Thats what happened to mine, the ice burnt out the motor.