trim removal

birdman

They use a plastic, push-in style retainer. You might be able to pop the panel off (after you remove all of the screws) but using the special "trim removal" tool helps greatly in popping the retainers out.

rfact2.jpg

You can see part of my door panel in the pic above. The white thing sticking out is what the retainer looks like...

I THINK its glued on, but i dont have a lumina, it may be snapped on also, open the door, and look at the molding from the side, Does it have glue holding it, or no? If not id say clips or somthing, so pull

Not sure about the Chevy's, but the trim on the Pontiacs were held on with trim clips. The "rivets" that hold the clips to the door are not visible from the inside of the door skin.

I've seen a trim removal tool sold by Eastwood Company, which will disengage the tabs that hold the trim in place without breaking them...

i could care less about breakin them cuz thell never be back on. changin the euro to Z-34 stuff. i just dont want to go yankin on the trin and mess the door up even more if it is tabs not gule.

Double sided tape holds it on on your Lumina.

I like to use WD40 to remove the sticky residue, but I am unsure how well that would work on thick residue. If you use WD40, I recommend washing the areas where you applied the WD40, followed by a waxing if you plan to leave them off.

Lumina trim is glued on, no clips on my car anyway.

Buy a cheap heat gun and heat it up good and proper, then pull it off....use whatrever product you like to remove whats left of the glue

When I helped a friend remove his we just used his girlfriends hairdryer, so if you're looking for a cheap alternative you might try that.

BTW if you are careful removing the trim pieces someone might want them

yeah save your trim birdman!!! you could possibly sell that euro 3.4 trim!!!

but yeah just heat it up, like everybody else did...im debating on whether not i should remove it...

The car LOOKS horrible without any trim. Of you were retrofitting a z34 type door pad on, that would be ok.... but I should post pics I have of a 'naked' lumina...

EDIT: I'm encouraging you if you do it right, that is!

That trim serves a very good purpose, especially if you must park in busy parking lots with tight spaces.

The trim on my dad's Taurus is smashed to shit from car doors, but minal dents to the metal work.

The car LOOKS horrible without any trim. Of you were retrofitting a z34 type door pad on, that would be ok.... but I should post pics I have of a 'naked' lumina...

EDIT: I'm encouraging you if you do it right, that is!

im confused to what you mean by door pads? but i am going z-34 bumpers, grille, tails, and hood. and going to put a small red stripe to go with the ones on the bumpers. (i think)

im confused to what you mean by door pads? but i am going z-34 bumpers, grille, tails, and hood. and going to put a small red stripe to go with the ones on the bumpers. (i think)

there is a panel across the bottom of the doors on the z-34... from the level of the current line to the bottom edge, along with ground effects that are particular to the two door.

May I suggest: (what I have done, and am still doing)

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16685

I have the sides on and am still test fitting the rear. I sectioned it since the center has a hump for the license plate, as well as the fact I am upgrading to z-34 duals and may require cutting notches for the pipes.

Nail polish remover is good for removing the adhesive that's left.

thanks i didnt think of that.

and crazy, you ment the side skirts basically right? ive been thinkin of doin that or makin my own to fit a four door but look like the z-34 ones.

well...

Someone once mentioned using two sets of z-34 door moulding/panels to fabricate a set on a 4 door car. You still need to come up with some way to cover the rocker panels... You would have to cut down the z-34 ground fx

The GP side skirt might look good with them instead of a modifed z-34 body moulding...

Or what I am doing, is the GP side skirts Plus The GP front and rear valance(lower lips on bumper) from the GP plus z-34 dual exhaust.