Steering wheel controls...paint?

96GranSport

Been wondering about this so I figured I'd ask here to see if I get any advice. Recently I've noticed that the paint on my steering wheel controls for my stereo is peeling. I've got bubbles on my Volume control and it's starting to come off the Source button. Anyone know of some sort of paint that might cover this up? I don't even want to think about the hassle of replacing the controls but I don't want to use some cheesey type of paint that will look cheap either.

Since the controls light up, I'm not sure what to use to keep them looking good. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance. ;)

Guest Anonymous

Just look for some new buttons. A few of mine were showing their age so i popped them off my parts car and put them on. Its insaly easy... just pry them off with a flathead screwdirver and snap them on.

Okay, silly question but do you think they would have replacements at a GM parts department or would I have to go looking at a J/Y for them? And thanx for that info. Didn't know they just popped off. That will make things a hell of a whole lot easier. :)

Well it's not as easy on the Buicks as it is on the Pontiacs. The Poncho SWC's are tucked into the spokes of the steering wheel, whereas the Buicks have them mounted to the airbag. It might be difficult to find another set of Buick controls that aren't still attached to an airbag.

Personally, I wouldn't try prying off the buttons. The ones on my Reeg seem too fragile to just "pry" off.

If it were me, I'd find a shade of DupliColor touch-up paint (the small tube that has the brush inside) that matches the interior color and "paint" on a small coat of paint where the coating is peeling off...

Well it's not as easy on the Buicks as it is on the Pontiacs. The Poncho SWC's are tucked into the spokes of the steering wheel, whereas the Buicks have them mounted to the airbag. It might be difficult to find another set of Buick controls that aren't still attached to an airbag.

Personally, I wouldn't try prying off the buttons. The ones on my Reeg seem too fragile to just "pry" off.

If it were me, I'd find a shade of DupliColor touch-up paint (the small tube that has the brush inside) that matches the interior color and "paint" on a small coat of paint where the coating is peeling off...

Thanx man, I was kina wondering about that myself. I'd hate to start trying to pop of the controls only to screw them up even more. I was looking at the DupliColor paint but I don't want it to look as if I painted it on. I've never used it and was wondering how it dried? Does it dry smooth or will the brush strokes show up?

Not sure how it'll look when brushed onto plastic. I haven't gotten around to touching up the buttons on my car yet. You could always dab the paint on with a sponge or one of those "celluose" paint brushes to avoid the brush strokes.

Ask your wife/girlfriend/signifacant other how they paint their fingernails without the brush strokes showing up :lol: ...