Painting calipers?....how to do it? what paint to use? etc..

AWeb80

i am gonna paint my calipers. What paint should i use and where can i get it? and what is the best way to prep it....

I'll use shawns rust removal method.

what color should I do?....i thought about white cause i've got the white/black them going....

but I do like red....should i just go with black and clean them up.?

ok, what paint do i use then....where to get it...and what color?

Well , I think red is a pretty standard good lookn color for the calipers..., and I think that VHT paint would do well.

What I was asking was opinions on the best way to clean the calipers.

The brackets are perfect for Shawns method... But I wonder if you could do that to the entire caliper. Is completely submersing it in water a good idea?

Could you do that with the entire knuckle?

The DupliColor kit comes with a can of cleaner/degreaser that works extremely well. I didn't "bogart" it, though, supplementing it with aerosol brake cleaner. I also sanded down all of the parts with 120 grit sandpaper prior to painting.

The DupliColor kit comes with a can of cleaner/degreaser that works extremely well. I didn't "bogart" it, though, supplementing it with aerosol brake cleaner. I also sanded down all of the parts with 120 grit sandpaper prior to painting.

I didn't mean to sound like you didn't do it right or anything.... My question was can you dunk calipers in water so that I can de-rust them?

Also, and you do the same thing with the knuckles?

I looked at your install and it looked really nice.... I really am lovn those wheels!

I didn't mean to sound like you didn't do it right or anything.... My question was can you dunk calipers in water so that I can de-rust them?

I looked at your install and it looked really nice.... I really am lovn those wheels!

I don't see how dunking the calipers would be a problem. As long as you pull the cylinders and seals out, it should be okay. Knuckles? I suppose as long as you disassemble them thoroughly (remove the strut cartridges et al.)

I admit I took the lazy man's way out, but that's who DupliColor had in mind when they made that kit :lol: . Hopefully it'll hold up for a couple of years, but if not, NBD :shrug:

where can i get the paint at?

and was the red the brush on kind or spray?

I got the paint at Checker. The red was part of the kit (brush-on) and the "aluninum" paint is DupliColor High-Temp Ceramic engine paint.

If you get the DupliColor kit, do yourself a favor and buy a dozen or so 1/4" paintbrushes from Wal-Mart. Get the kind that look like a mini version of what you'd paint your house with, not the "artists" type. The brush that comes with the DC kit is complete junk and falls apart after only one coat of paint...

I don't see how dunking the calipers would be a problem. As long as you pull the cylinders and seals out, it should be okay. Knuckles? I suppose as long as you disassemble them thoroughly (remove the strut cartridges et al.)

I admit I took the lazy man's way out, but that's who DupliColor had in mind when they made that kit :lol: . Hopefully it'll hold up for a couple of years, but if not, NBD :shrug:

Well I'm gunna do that then.... I will take the caliper and bracket off , and drop the rest in a bucket and hook it up to the battery charger.....then paint a day or two later......

my uncle used that duplicolor kit and he said it fisheyed like 5 times and it was a pain in the ass. I know guys that have used engine enamel and it looks pretty damn good too.

All I did was wirebrush my calipers, brackets too. I shot the brackets with Wal-Mart rust preventive gloss enamel and they've held up perfectly. The calipers themselves, I shot with red engine enamel, also from Wal-mart, and they've also held up beautifully. Didn't fisheye or anything. I did this awhile ago, well over a year ago and they're still glossy to this day.