W-Body Rear Disc Q's

BlkCav

W-body solution to a J-body problem!

Ok, i need your guys' help here. I own a j-body, well more to the fact, i owned a 98 cavalier, and basically its gone now, and i'm shopping for another, possibly a 2000+.

Anyways, while i had modded my car, i bought a set of rear caliper brakets that sombody on jbody.org had made, to adapt the i think its 1st gen, 88-93 rear calipers to our rear setup.

I was told to avoid these calipers like the plague, now i read that the 94+ calipers bolt directly onto 93 and down w-bodies assembly. Now my question is this, does anybody have mesurements on the differences between the 93 rear rotor, and the 94+? Sofar, the rotors that i must use are 2002 Toyota Camry rear rotors, redrilled to a 5x100 bolt pattern.

I want to know where this puts my caliper to rotor relation, i might need to find a new rotor to use with the setup, but i'm hoping its somthing as easy as grinding down the plate, or extending it a bit.

If you guys want to check out my car, RIP, pics and modlist are here http://www.cardomain.com/id/z22styles

If you think this is a frankenstein setup, you should see the w-body half-shaft, w-body rotor, n-body balljoint, n-body kunckle, and f-body caliper big brake setup i have to install on the next car ;)

To my knowledge, the '94+ have larger rear rotors AND a different caliper setup. I don't think the 94+ caliper setup will bolt on to a pre '94.

Why the hell are you going to use some Toyota garbage on your car?!? Just go to your local parts store and buy some cheaper rotors that are actually designed for the car.

Why the hell are you going to use some Toyota garbage on your car?!? Just go to your local parts store and buy some cheaper rotors that are actually designed for the car.

Maybe because there AREN'T any rotors that are designed for the car? A J-body with W-body rear calipers? I don't know why the right ones wouldn't work but there could be complications we don't know about.

To my knowledge, the '94+ have larger rear rotors AND a different caliper setup. I don't think the 94+ caliper setup will bolt on to a pre '94.

People talk about '94+ brake swaps all day long....

http://www.w-body.com/upgrades/brakes-rearcalipers94.html

so the 94+ bolt right in to where the 93 and down bolt to? our rear brakets were made for the 93 model rear calipers. The reason that we're using toyota rear disc's is due to the size of our rear bearing, and it gives us the proper clearances to actually work

an acquantance of mine has a Cutlass Supreme convertable, and he told me his rear calipers (i belive its a 92) have a rubber cover going over the whole thing, or somthing along those lines, he's never had them seize up in 2 years now, i'm wondering thats up with that.... if they're different?

i wonder if i could get away with extending the caliper bracket a half an inch outwards. because the caliper sits a half inch further out to accomodate the bigger rotor, am i on the right page for this?

• 4 weeks later...