CHEAP 4T60-E REBUILDS!!

GrandPrix34

ya but you can get his $91 banner kit from bulkpart.com for $58 and mark there is awesome with customer service. and i doubt most of the members here will have the tools/desire to build their own trans, its not for the faint of heart ;) lotta small parts that are easily misplaced.

ooo, thanks for letting me know about a way cheaper one! Do you think i could purchase the bulk parts kit and have a tranny shop use it to rebuild my tranny yuo know like i provide the parts and he uses them to rebuild just charges me labor?

I think the labor would be far more expensive to dismantle and rebuild your trans than to just replace it with an already-rebuilt, but it doesnt hurt to check around

i dont think a shop would let you bring in the parts.

but check with them, i inquired about a kit for the 700r4 in my truck from the local shop and was close to macko's price after shipping.

It's probably the same kit your trans shop uses already. I think bulkparts.com sells Alto kits (not sure), and a lot of trans shops use those or a variation. Sure, a banner kit will get you the clutches/seals. But you'll also need to check and most likely replace these other parts:

Bands

Washers

Diff shims

Bushings

Sprags (definately!!)

Other wear parts

Depending on mileage, figure you'll need at least $300 in hard parts, even if the trans works great now. These are just parts that wear over time during normal use. Stuff that should be replaced since the trans is apart...

And thats not even taking in to account a trans that is broken.

Put it this way, when I did my TSTE trans rebuild, I spent $800 just in parts! And the trans wasn't broken, it shifted fine, it was just a little weak. I just wanted to freshen it up. Definatley more than I expected. But well worth it. I hate when people say "you can't do it"...those negative thoughts drive everything I do. I can't do it? I'll bet you I can! :)

But it probably won't be less than $400 for a typical 4T60-E rebuild (just for parts). It's one of those things "since I'm in here, I might as well do this or that". And I'll tell you, a trans is not something you want to take back out and take apart a second time. I would have been extremely disappointed if I had to take mine back apart again because I missed something, or tried to save a few bucks. Transmissions take a good beating, especially the undersized ones in our cars.

Jason