How the hell am I supposed to get these off??

fleetwoodguy79

Need to replace one of my coils but... my Hanes manual says I need a 5.5 mm socket to get the coil off from the bracket. NO ONE has a 5.5mm socket, and there is no other way to get this damn thing off! Anyone have any suggestions?

if ya go to the discount store or whatever, chances are theyll have a 40-60pc set thatll have all the little metrics in it for about 10 bux. tiawan crap but when you need them its there.

if ya go to the discount store or whatever, chances are theyll have a 40-60pc set thatll have all the little metrics in it for about 10 bux. tiawan crap but when you need them its there.

the set i have is the biggest $10 Pos but it has everything and it does everything for me cept when i need electrical tape, scissors, or pliers 8)

I think it's a 5/32 that fits them.

I think you're right. I remember it being a 1/4 inch drive socket. Most of the time there is a standard size that is VERY close to the oddball metric sizes like 5.5mm (and I recently found out that 16mm is an odd size). That's why they're excluded when you buy most sets of wrenches/sockets, unless you buy a very large complete set.

word of advice, don't ever try and use the cheap 1/4'' drive ratchets to break a bolt loose that is torqued over 1lb... :lol: ....I stripped mine out when just toying with it for the first time....now I just use my 3/8'' drive craftsman ratchet and a 3/8's to 1/4 adapter.......I need to sort out all my tools!!!!!!

EDIT: left out a "d" on "torqued" :oops:

word of advice, don't ever try and use the cheap 1/4'' drive ratchets to break a bolt loose that is torqued over 1lb... :lol: ....I stripped mine out when just toying with it for the first time....now I just use my 3/8'' drive craftsman ratchet and a 3/8's to 1/4 adapter.......I need to sort out all my tools!!!!!!

EDIT: left out a "d" on "torqued" :oops:

Very good advice. All the sockets and wrenches in the tool box in the garage are Craftsman, but the ratchets are all Snap-On, and even they don't make a decent 1/4 inch drive socket wrench. The one I have now is about shot, and it's already been rebuilt once. :(

I have a great little 1/4" drive ratchet wrench, made by Craftsman. I am not sure if they even make them anymore, but it's a stainless steel ratchet. I have owned it since I was heavy into BMX and Freestyle back in the late 80's. That is THEE exclusive tool for the small sizes, including interior parts, trim and accesory parts, and small electrical. Never get one of those ratcheting screw drivers, or at least not the no name ones, useless. ARGH! ok, just about any off-brand tool is junk. on my 86' GP I was trying to break loose the torque convert bolts with a 1/2" drive, 24" breaker bar. I couldn't budge the thing, so a friend tried (much bigger than I) He broke the 15mm (I think) "Chrome Vandium" socket like it was candy. I went out and bought Craftsman impact wrench sockets after that.

8)