Top Engine Cleaner

skiiirt

I used a bottle of simple green on my accord, took about 2 hours, but that thing looked good after I got it clean. Thats what I would reccomend.
Ya don't use that INSIDE the engine lol.

OH SHIT! :lol:

hmmm I once once told by a mechanic that using tranny fluid would do the same thing including cleaning the valves. This was with respect to an old carbed engine, and lots of white smoke results.

Also have have heard that stp engine cleaner additive is basically thick tranny fluid, and either could be used to remove deposits just before an oil change!

hmmm I once once told by a mechanic that using tranny fluid would do the same thing including cleaning the valves. This was with respect to an old carbed engine, and lots of white smoke results.

Also have have heard that stp engine cleaner additive is basically thick tranny fluid, and either could be used to remove deposits just before an oil change!

Ya I have done the tranny fluid in a carb'd engine. Does work really good.

Im going tomorrow to have them run the combustion cleaner (Cleens). I got $100 credit at a dealership for a free winterization (tire rotation, coolant/anti freeze flush, plugs/wires general inspection etc. So hopefully my carbon problem will piss off once and for all

Yeah I've heard of adding it to the oil and letting it run 10min (just like engine flush), not that I would personally ever try it, but whatever.

The Seafoam/Cleens doesn't look AT ALL like tranny fluid though, I would really question using it for that purpose!

Tranny fluid does make a good cleaner, but Its thick, so thinning it out with water or a solvent would be a good idea just so it doesnt sollect anywhere in the intake.

do NOT put seafoam in the tranny, otherwise you'll be doing a tranny swap vey soon. I usually use 1/2 a bottle in the top end and the last 1/2 in the gas. Fixed an idling issue on a TBI 305 camaro yesterday with that stuff.

The best way to handle carbon is do what i do:

The first time I get a car I pull the upper intake(plenum) off and clean it out. This also alows me to change teh PCV valve, all the fuel injector O-rings and the distribtor drive gear gasket. (By doing this, you make sure everything is done right.you may even find anything from squirreled nuts to fuel rails that have been worked on by bad mechanics. Ever seen one beaten with a sledge to push it back in place? think bent rail, BENT injectors and fire hazard!)

THE BEST TIP: On the 3.1, the EGR port is often clogged, just pulling the EGR loose you can see the port, I like to ream it out with top post battery cleaner after scratching out all the large chunks. then wash it through the butterfly/choke with carb cleaner(remove the intake hose!!!!!!).

So I had the dealership do this for me. I have absolutely no idea of how they did it or what steps they took.

from what i've read you have to change your oil after running this through.

what happens if I dont change the oil? I am scared they changed my oil first then ran the cleens through. I don't want to waste another $40 on an oil change. Is there anything I can do to check, like obvious signs in the oil etc etc?

Thanks

The ATF trick will also free a carbon locked rotary engine...however it is damaging to the internal seals....which is why I question if it is damaging to anything in a piston engine??

The ATF trick will also free a carbon locked rotary engine...however it is damaging to the internal seals....which is why I question if it is damaging to anything in a piston engine??

For $5 I'd rather buy ACD Cleens than take a risk. Unless it was some POS engine I didn't care about.