For those who glassed before

rshissler

ehhhhh, start over bro.

Use regular ol resin that you mix up with hardner, it dries much smoother , MUCH and then you can put mroe on and build it up, then some body filler and sand prime and paint

Pick up the quart of Fiberglass Resin that comes with the hardener. Then, walk over to the section of walmart where they sell fabric on the big rolls(you know, to make your own clothes) and pick up some nice fabric that will absorb up the resin/hardener mix(fleece seems to work good). Then, go at it.

You went it all all wrong, and probably wasted a good $30.

READ READ and READ before you do this stuff....

um no it only cost like $14. The fleece stuff is like 5 bucks a foot when i can get 4 feet of just fiberglass cloth for like $4. This stuff is the resin with hardner, its just a jelly form of it.

i think the reason it came out so bad is because i used a cardboard edge to smear the stuff on. i started to sand tonight and it looks alot better now... im probably goin to start over tho i have some time off from skool over thanksgiving so ill be able to work on it then. Hey its my first time doin it, no ones a good at something the first time they do it

Jelly????

I admit I don't know anything about making fibreglass speaker boxes, but I have done a bit of bodywork on my old car before. Do what the other guys have said...

What are you trying to do with that anyways? It just looks like a square box?? :shrug:

i know what the jelly is you're talking about. don't use that. get liquid resin and some thick fabric. the stuff you got is about as thick as a bedsheet. you want something like 10 times that thick.

the liquid resin comes in blue containers. i think the jelly is in a green container.

think, by the time you buy enough glass mat to build up that thick, you could have just bought some flees or something and saved money.

this way you will have a whicker surface with less work. then you can get to the body filler, sanding and painting.

you could even use the jelly you have as body filler instead of buying bondo. it'll be a lot harder to sand, but it'll turn out the same as bondo, only a little stronger.

someone else said that the fleece isn't as strong and it could break apart from the vibration of the box and that fleece should only be used on small areas. This true or not?

i've never actually used fleece. i use amaterial about as thick as fleece, but it feels more like t-shirt material. i'd say if someone that has some experience with fleece says use something else, then use something else.

Exactly, don't use that Jelly stuff you have been using, use the resin stuff. It comes in a nice blue container (couldn't find a picture on the web) and it usually has a little tube of hardener with it. You don't want the thicker putty looking stuff that you have, thats to fill in the gaps after you are done sanding.

As for the material to use, a nice t-shirt, or something of similar material will be fine.

Hell, I forgot I created this page a while back: http://www.geocities.com/slick94prix

So maybe I do have a little experience fiberglassing, you can take my advice or leave it....

i was only goin to put down 1 maybe two lays of glass

When doing that, on the outside of the fabric, you will want to put down only 2 layers of resin. Now, on the inside of the fabric, you will want to put down a good 4-5 layers, plus some of the mating that you used when you did it incorrectly the first time. That matting will strengthen it up quite a bit.

Pick up the quart of Fiberglass Resin that comes with the hardener. Then, walk over to the section of walmart where they sell fabric on the big rolls(you know, to make your own clothes) and pick up some nice fabric that will absorb up the resin/hardener mix(fleece seems to work good). Then, go at it.

If you have no glass fibers in it, is it still called fiberglass?

I have never done this kind of thing, but I thought the strength of fiberglass comes from the glass fibers that are in it?

Shawn, do you mean the fiberglass matting? The strenth does party come from that, but it also comes from design as well. Curves and corners are stronger than flat straight parts. So those parts really don't need that much matting.

Also, you would want to put the matting on the inside of the enclosure, not the outside. That stuff is a bitch to sand. But... the resin/hardener mix is a lot easier to sand.

Next week is thanksgiving week, and I have a few days off. I think I'll do something small, just to kinda show you guys how to do it. Not sure if it would be something I would use or not, but it would be a good tutorial.

Shawn, do you mean the fiberglass matting? The strenth does party come from that, but it also comes from design as well. Curves and corners are stronger than flat straight parts. So those parts really don't need that much matting.

I might have misunderstood, but it sounds like people are saying to use fleece and resin. Although the resin is for fiberglass, I don't believe it has any glass fibers in it. So I would think fleece+resin isn't really fiberglass at all.

Or are people saying to use fleece along with resin and fiberglass matting?

I guess I just don't really understand, but I'd like to give fiberglassing a try too.

Well, on the outside of the enclosure, or whatever you are making, it would be just fleece(or a something of similar fabric, like a tshirt) and resin. But... On the inside is where the actual fiberglass matting/fabric stuff is actually applied.

I think tonight while I'm bored at work, I'm going to draw myself up something to make that would show a pretty good idea of what I'm speaking of. Then, next week, I'll get to it.

You can click on my car domain and see my friend's wheelwell enclosure. It is the second one I have completed with very favorable results ( clean lows, no distortion). The glass will help reinforce it, but it is not needed to be thick, the resin can be brushed on by itself for a varnish and it works great to waterproof and stop expansion. the glass suspended in resin will give incredible strength and vibration resistance. Vibration= no bass. I have taken 32 oz cups of resin and dumped them in the box and turned it around in the air so it drips out of all the cracks and seals them.

Well... decided to make a small speaker box for a demonstration on making an enclosure.

I'm not going to use it, but it will be a good demo, and more practice for me(remember kids, practice makes perfect).

well i sanded down the messed up area and it was stuck on pretty good so i just sanded it smooth then layed down a nice coat of resin all over the box. Tomorrow im gonna go out to wally world after class and get about 10 feet of fleece, tomorrow night ill start to lay resin down then put the fleece over top of it then resin on top of that. saturday after work ill finish it up then put another lay of resin over the entire box then sand it smooth, bondo, sand, primer, sand if needed, then primer again and see how it works. Also how do u guys clean the brushes after using them for the resin???