$100?

THe_DeTAiL3R

I'm looking for a cheap deck for my fiance for x-mas. (No I'm not asking for a used one so this doesn't belong in the for sale section.)

Something around $100 CAD (so like $80US?)

Something that is name brand like Pioneer, Kenwood, possibly Sony. Don't need MP3 cause that costs more and she woun't use it.

Any recommendations?

Pioneer Usually has decks like my DEH-1600 for about $100 US....mines last years model...bought another one on ebay for the quad 4 cutlass for $45 shipped...50Wx4 MOSFET even...best cheap deck ever!

The Sony is a big nono...

Although my CDX f5000 never stopped working, it would skip if it even thought it hit a bump, and it became very frustrating. Also, the tuner didn't pull in radio stations well at all.

The JVC is probobly OK, but I have had nothing but problems with their home CD players. I had their mini system a few years ago, and it had to go back to the store twice because it wouldn't play CDs. Their home recievers are excellent though, so go figure.

I'd still look for Alpine, Panasonic or Pioneer.

Crutchfield has some low end Panasonics that are pretty nice from what I hear. :wink:

The JVC is probobly OK, but I have had nothing but problems with their home CD players. I had their mini system a few years ago, and it had to go back to the store twice because it wouldn't play CDs. Their home recievers are excellent though, so go figure.

The JVC is a GREAT price ($50 off) and from the reviews it's suppose to have good sound, however my sister's car came with an older JVC and the thing just sounds like shit.

I had a JVC reviever (cheap $200 100wRMS x5) couple of years ago. It was okay for the money, but for the power rating I wouldn't call it "excellent" by any means. My Yamaha (which I replaced the JVC with) is only 60w/ch and it BLOWS it away.

I guess it really depends on the model.. the cheaper brands can have shit or you can get lucky had have a good unit. Theres still time before x-mas so I got time to wait for more sales.... I'd really just like to get a Pioneer or Kenwood and call it a day!

My JVC reciever ( 150w X 2 ) is about 15 years old, and it still really BLASTS my Bose 301s which are about 25 years old haha...really happy with it. Their TVs are okay too. And I have never heard anything terrible about JVC HUs, so it might be worth a try...pretty good price.

Seriously the one in my sister's car (there's nothing wrong with it) but it has absolutely no power. :think: I have no idea how old it is though. A stock cassette deck would be better for just listening to the radio :lol: But in the last couple years (after I bought my Kenwood deck, which they don't seem to sell much Kenwood around here anymore) they started selling JVC HUs which look pretty nice.

I'm sure that either BB or Futureshop will have something else for $100 CAD I just don't feel comfortable buying JVC, particularly that cheap looking unit. There was the Pioneer 1700? On sale a couple days ago but IIRC they were sold out online and now back up to $130.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10059297&catid=

I put one of these in my dad's Taurus a couple months ago. Sounds pretty good, looks good/fits awesome in his car (probably because he had a 1 din in the first place...)

Anyway, sometimes this thing goes on sale for $99 cdn. The one I got was an open box, so I got it for $89 with the harness adapter for my dad's car so there was no splicing/cutting of the factory harness.

I can't stand an h/u with out a rotary volume knob...it is a must for me, buttons SUCK.....anyway, I don't know what kind of reputation Clarion has, but it has worked great for my dad so far, and the Clarion amp in my Lumina is still working flawlessly.

Good luck!

if you're dead set on a new one, out of the ones posted so far i would go with the clarion. it'll be the best value for your money. second would be the jvc, although i don't have any experience with their cheaper decks.

if you don't mind getting a decent used one, see if you can find a clarion dxz-615. i owned one (which someone apparently liked more than i did, so they stole it :evil: ), and it was one of the best hu's i've ever owned. treble, midrange, and bass adjustments, and it has a nonfader and i think 3 other sets of pre-outs.

not the prettiest, but i loved the shit out of it. i paid like 300 for it new, but i've seen them go on ebay for 50 bucks used.

details, details. here's your damn link. you happy? :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Clarion-DXZ615-CD-Payer-With-Remote_W0QQitemZ5829897189QQcategoryZ39757QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

edit - now that i think about it, i still have the remote, faceplate case and trim plate from the one that was stolen from my car. i just might pick one of these up since my olds hu is crapping out :D