are these any good?

rshissler

don't bother with the profile one. the only good thing about it is the remote gain.

i've only heard one viper setup, and it wasn't bad for the price. i'd get a new one, though, if they have any. refurbs aren't worth the risk imho.

i've never heard any directed audio stuff

DEI, or Directed Electronics stuff is good. But... I would never buy refurbished. Ever.

Also, if you are asking if stuff is good or not, then most likely it isn't. In car audio(90% of the time) you get what you pay for.

you wont blow anything by having a little extra power in reserve. You just wont have to turn the gains up as high. And then you'll always have that little bit extra incase you want to change your system in the future.

I put 600rms to a JL 12W0. And it was only rated for 125rms and it laughed at me.

Power doesnt kill speakers.... clipping does.

Now this is what I heard......I dont have any personnaly expierience with PG's new lines but......The new lines are apparently a slight drop in quality. But I dont think they would stake their reputation on shotty products. Only thing I would worry about is buying from a shotty dealer.

Dealers will drop a whole line of components if they get too many returns. I saw Fosgate get the boot at their biggest outlet for this exact reason.

PG has been ditched for more high-end lines at a shop in town. They don't want to risk their reputation if their a good high end shop.

Just save your reciept. Actually the place I go has all the info on their computer and I don't need a reciept because I have fried 3 1000+ watt amps and a W-7. :mrgreen: One of them a PG :lol:

My 1000 watt monoblock is a refurbished unit now, because that is what they replace your blown one with. No different than a new one if it works. If it don't take it back. 8)

i hooked my Pyramid Crystal amp up tonight just for kicks and some kid wants to buy it and all i can say is wow! it sounds good way better then the Rockford amp. I think im gonna keep it and use that instead and hook the rockford to my 6x9s

I owned a Profile amp years ago when they first came out. It was pretty good for the time. It was the California Profile 1000 I believe. The only problem I had with it was overheating. I was running 2 12in Earthquakes and it would heat up something awful. I checked the wiring, tried hooking up the speakers in different variations, and even installed a fan to blow across it. Nothing helped. I wound up replacing it with a Fosgate amp and never had a problem. I did like the controls on it and the red light across the top looked cool. Just couldn't keep that sucker cool. I don't know if they've improved over the years but, after having a bad experience with mine, I wouldn't buy another one.

As for the refurbished thing...I'm sort of torn. I normally only buy new stuff but, if you are buying from a reputable place and they offer some sort of warranty with the amp, then it may not be a bad way to go. Most good places will fix an amp or send it to the factory for repairs. Once it's fixed it will be sold as refurbished, no matter how much or how little they had to repair on it. You could get a great amp that only needed a minor fix and pay a whole lot less than you would have if it was new. And, as I said, if they offer some sort of warranty.... :idea: