Thinking of a Monte Carlo, opinions?

AM6_Cutlass

I've had my Cutlass Supreme for almost four years now, and I have enjoyed it most of the time. It's now six model years old and starting to require more than I want to put into it. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to trade it while it's still worth something. I'm losing coolant (filling it up almost weekly now), and am afraid how much it's going to cost to get repaired. If it's over $1000, I'm thinking of cutting my losses and selling it as is. I saw a '99 Monte Carlo LS at a car lot on my way to my g/f's house and it got me thinking about one. The price was $8900 (black LS, starndard bench seat, optional aluminum wheels). That's all I know about it, it might have high miles and I'm skeptical why it is at a used only lot and not a Chevy dealer. This might not be the one I want (I'd rather have a lighter color), but I'm sure I can find a low mileage one for which I don't want to pay more than $8000 minus value of my car. I'm unemployed right now and didn't want to have to do this, but I have the money in the bank to cover the difference and not have to finance. What do you guys think?

If anybody's interested in my Cutlass.

1996 SL coupe

Dark Teal Metallic/Medium Beige Cloth

Keyless Entry

Remore Trunk Release

16" 5-spoke aluminum wheels

leather wrapped steering wheel

55/45 split bench front seat

AM/FM cassette and CD player

46,300 miles!!!

new battery and alternator in June, new front brakes in October, new Goodyear Eagle #1 yellow letter tires in December with less than 1000 miles on them, will have 2004 PA inspection and emmissions next week.

has the previously mentioned problem with losing coolant, turn signal switch needs replaced, air only blowing from defroster/floor vents (ac works!) and a small dent in the front passenger fender that should be able to be removed with paintless dent removal, just haven't looked into it... and I have no idea how it got there. Other than that, just some minor scratches and dings as to be expected on a car of that age.

http://encyclopedia.classicoldsmobile.com/me/cutlass.html

$7000 or best offer

Except for the losing coolant problem, the rest are minor.

Who knows, the coolant loss could be a minor problem as well.

A '99 is only worthwhile if it's under warranty, as it may just as well have similar or worse problems. If you don't work on your car yourself, I would recommend spending a bit more to get one that will be under warranty longer.

I have nothing against Monte's, but a well-equipped Cutlass is just so much more car than the Monte's are. A well-equipped Monte is only about as well-equiped as a stripped-down Cutlass.

I would say, if your going to get a Monte, get the SS. Dont waste your money on an LS, cuz like GnatGoSplat said, the LS is really stripped down. And he is right, those things are minor, and if you dont do your own repairs get something with a warranty.

Robby

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to find out just how major/minor the coolant problem is next week when I take it to the shop for the required yearly PA emmissions and inspections. I don't really enjoy "getting dirty" on my car. I do the really minor stuff myself, my dad usually helps me out or does the moderate stuff and it goes to the shop for major stuff. I figured if it is an expensive fix, it's only going to cost me a thousand or two over my cars value + the repair to move up three years. I guess it is true that the newer car could have its own problems though. I got really lucky with my car considering it had NO warrenty at all when I bought it. The problems lie in the fact that I really do like my Cutlass and wanted another Olds, a 50th Anniversary Eighty-Eight, but I can't find any good used ones anywhere. Plus I'm not likely to find anything as low mileage as what I've got. I'd like something under 30,000, which is uncommon on a car of that age these days. I struggled with the option of getting a Monte when I bought my Cutlass (even considered ordering a new '99). I liked the Cutlass for the fact that I am naturally attracted to Oldsmobiles and it was a bit more unique. Just about the only thing I have on my Cutlass that was not standard or available on the MC are fog lights, so I'd have to add some aftermarket (my g/f knows someone that owns an audio shop that will get me a good price on instalation). The MC does include a standard fold down back seat that my car does not have. Oh, and if I could get a '99 Cutlass Supreme coupe, I would :cry:

I would say, if your going to get a Monte, get the SS. Dont waste your money on an LS, cuz like GnatGoSplat said, the LS is really stripped down. And he is right, those things are minor, and if you dont do your own repairs get something with a warranty.

Robby

Well, SS is the new bodystyle which I don't really care for, so I assume you mean Z34 on a '99 equivilant. I'd really rather have the 3800 in the Z34, but I want the front bench seat, which is LS only. I don't have a top of the line Cutlass, so the LS isn't that much more stripped down. As long as it has the aluminum wheels and cruise and perhaps keyless entry options, I don't care about anything else. I can always add a cd player like I did in my Cutlass if it doesn't come with one.

The coolant loss could be the intake manifold gasket. They go bad occasionally on 3.1's.
I'm worried that's what it's going to be. Sounds expensive. Any ideas on how much something like that costs to get fixed?

You sound skeptical on the Monte Carlo. I wouldn't buy a car unless I liked every aspect of it. The only cars I have bought were the 'love at first sight' ones. If you've got some doubt on it now, you might not like it even after you have owned it for awhile... then again, it could grow on ya and you learn to love it. Oh well.. just my 2 cents.

The coolant loss could be the intake manifold gasket. They go bad occasionally on 3.1's.
I'm worried that's what it's going to be. Sounds expensive. Any ideas on how much something like that costs to get fixed?

Im thinking around $500 or so. I know a guy who did one for one of my friends for $150, but thats because he's her dad's friend.

Oh, and if I could get a '99 Cutlass Supreme coupe, I would :cry:

There were no 99 Cutlass Supreme coupes. There were no 99 Cutlass Supremes at all :). 98 is when they changed to the Intrigue, which I think is actually a pretty car.

And not to be rude, or start anything, but $7000 for yours is really doubtfull. While yes, you have like half the miles my car has (a 96 CS sedan, 114k), I dont have a single mecahnical problem. I have a series III too. I prob could barley get $6000, and thats if i found a stupid person arround here (which is very common).

Personlly, if your tight for cash, just put the money into the CS and get what needs to be fixed, fixed. You could get that MC, and it could fall apart in a week, and your screwed. You know what probs. your CS has. You know how your CS acts. Basicly, why go and buy a newer car that you dont know a history of, just b/c your is messed up. If my CS was having major probs, and I had the money to get a new car, just caus I was Hassleed by the CS, Id put it into the CS.

Same thing I told my GF. Why trade in your truck caus you want more space! You have a darn 6' bed. Dont sell the truck and pay more and buy a car, put your money into a nice cover. So guess what, we have a A.R.E fiberglass cover coming soon.

And I agree with Supreme Style. If you have any doubts, then personaly you dont wanan do it. Youll hate yourself later

Sorry for the long post

Jon

Theres a Series I, II, III, and IV. They are basicly option/trim levels. I have yet to find yet what really sets each appart (defined). For example, many series IVs have the special steering wheel, climate control, etc.

IF you go to his website (AM6_cutlass, it was in the first post on this thread), you see his is a Series 2, RPO code 1SB. Mine is 1SC, a series 3.

I also know mines a series 3 since I have the window sticker. Top of it says 1996 Cutlass Supreme SL SDN SER III.

Look in your trunk. On the spare tire cover. There is the RPO chart there. THen, you can look on this site (http://www.w-body.com) and look all those up.

Jon

Ill have to check when I get a chance. Its up at my work.

I know the one my friend bought to sell (dealer) has more options than mine- steering wheel controls, console, digital dash, leather seats, and more.

These newer ones had digital dashes ? I want one. THat and one of those sterring wheels, and those 5-spoke wheels too....

Jon

He's got a '97 with both. My '97 doesnt have either one and its got a cloth interior with a 60/40 bench and a column shifter.

5 spoke wheels were only for 2 doors from what Ive seen though.

His and mine have the same wheels as yours.

ya guys know i have had a cutlass supreme (89) a 90 lumina (eurosport) and now im in a 95 monte carlo Z34 and ill yell you what the z34 is by far the most fun to drive how ever i miss the cutlass there was something about driving the fish bowl it was nice got looks but the monte gets the chicks

:? 95+ Cutlass Supreme never had a digital dash... it could have come with digital climate control, but that's it. Or were you talking about something else?

Also, be aware that newer and fewer miles doesn't always mean it's gonna be more reliable. Sometimes it's quite the contrary!

No Monte!!! Jeez louise....dont feel too bad, my mom's intake gasket on "her 95" went out almost 2 yrs ago. POS's. And the newer motors fail even quicker, hows 3 year old cars going in for the problem because somehow the newer plastic gaskets crack, they work good when theyre properly torqued bu that's it.....yeah $7000 is a lot for a 96 cutlass but $8900 for a plastic armrested wood trimmed entry level car is worse. Dont worry Im still keeping my eyes peeled for a rear seat for ya

Wow, lots of replies, mostly in favor of keeping my current car. I'll try and touch on as many of them as possible...

Im thinking around $500 or so. I know a guy who did one for one of my friends for $150, but thats because he's her dad's friend.
I guess $500 wouldn't be too bad

There were no 99 Cutlass Supreme coupes. There were no 99 Cutlass Supremes at all :). 98 is when they changed to the Intrigue, which I think is actually a pretty car.
Thanks... I am aware 1997 was the last year for the CS coupe, which is why I said I'd buy one if I could, guess I should have stressed the "if" more.

And not to be rude, or start anything, but $7000 for yours is really doubtfull. While yes, you have like half the miles my car has (a 96 CS sedan, 114k), I dont have a single mecahnical problem. I have a series III too. I prob could barley get $6000, and thats if i found a stupid person arround here (which is very common).

Shhhh.... :wink:. I know $7000 for mine is doubtful, and even a bit rediculous. I purposly threw out a high price thinking that if you guys are like me, you are going to offer no higher than $6000, and perhaps lower. I'm still not to sure what the minimum I'd accept on my car is, so I didn't want to say something like $5000 to have you guys jump all over it and then I might regret selling it so cheap later. ...but heck, if someone want to pay $7000 for it, consider it sold.

And I agree with Supreme Style. If you have any doubts, then personaly you dont wanan do it. Youll hate yourself later

I have not stopped to look at that particular car yet, just driven past it a few times. The reason I am skeptical is that dealers usually try to keep the best stuff for themselves, and I would feel more comfortable buying a used car through a new car dealer. There may be nothing wrong with the car, but this isn't necissarily the one I'd want if I got a Monte. They are quite common around here.

Theres a Series I, II, III, and IV. They are basicly option/trim levels. I have yet to find yet what really sets each appart (defined). For example, many series IVs have the special steering wheel, climate control, etc.
Those four trim levels were 1996 only, for 1997 they were parred back to three (basically eliminating the base Series I and moving up the level of equipment accordingly). For 1995, there was only Series I and Series II. 1995 Series I was a 1SB and Series II was 1SC, a base 1SA and top 1SD package was available to fleets. I have the 1996 standards and options on my site:

http://encyclopedia.classicoldsmobile.com/96cutlass/standard.html

http://encyclopedia.classicoldsmobile.com/96cutlass/options.html

He's got a '97 with both. My '97 doesnt have either one and its got a cloth interior with a 60/40 bench and a column shifter.

5 spoke wheels were only for 2 doors from what Ive seen though.

His and mine have the same wheels as yours.

If you have a '97 with a bench/column shifter it's either a Series I or Series II. '97 Series III was equivilant to '96 Series IV (standard leather, digital climate control, etc)

No Monte!!! Jeez louise....dont feel too bad, my mom's intake gasket on "her 95" went out almost 2 yrs ago. POS's. And the newer motors fail even quicker, hows 3 year old cars going in for the problem because somehow the newer plastic gaskets crack, they work good when theyre properly torqued bu that's it.....yeah $7000 is a lot for a 96 cutlass but $8900 for a plastic armrested wood trimmed entry level car is worse. Dont worry Im still keeping my eyes peeled for a rear seat for ya
LOL, how do you really feel? I was under the impression the problem was fixed after '97, guess not. Thanks for continuing to keep an eye out for the seat for me!

AMU I'm just curious as to why you looked around for a cutlass with a bench seat?
Long story, but I wanted the bench seat more than I wanted the CS. I like the openness to the front seat, and prefer the shifter on the column, and the practicality it adds. I would have bought a CS sedan or probably a Monte (or maybe an older Toronado) if I couldn't have found one, but it was a quest for the unusual. I have no regrets...

Have you checked your RPO codes to make sure? AU0 is the code.

When my '89 belonged to my stepdad, he had no idea it had keyless entry because they never gave him any key fobs.

Am6 - cool stuff. I agree with you. I have seen afew 96 CS sedans go for $6k arround here, just fine. If you want to sell it, I would set it high, and let it back down, but not to far. Like $5500 or 6000 lowest.

I personly dont think I would ever buy a car, unless new from the dealership. And I really dont want a new car 1) caus of the depreciation (unless there was a new CAr/Truck I REALLY wanted and 2) there are so many older cars I really want, they would last me a while. And when buying used, I actually would prefer to stay in the private sector, rather than dealers.

JOn

If I were you, I'd go with the Monte. Nothing against the Cutlass, but it's very antiquated looking if you don't have the top of the line 3.4L DOHC model w/ gfx and all. (in fact, down-right ugly) Not only that.. they are only getting older looking.. and the parts are only gonna get more worn as time goes on.

The Monte LS is a very reliable vehicle and if well cared for, shouldn't give you any problems past 100K miles. For anyone who has had problems with their's, I don't know what to tell you. I had a 98' LS for 60K miles and NOTHING was wrong with it.

Depends on what you want. I will agree that the Monte doesn't have as many options.. but what do you really need? The extra gadgets only end up breaking usually.