Tips on setting up Cutlass for AutoX race?

94CutlassSLCoupe

There is another school Autocross this weekend, and since I am a student right now, and its free for me, I will be participating. You may remember I ran this spring, but that was when it was just an FE1 car with a Z34 rear sway bar and shot front struts.

The car is currently as follows:

'94 Cutlass Supreme...FE1 Suspension, 3100/4T60E

4 New Monroe Gas Struts

'92 Z34 Rear Sway Bar

'92 Cutlass Convertible Strut Tower Brace

Fresh Alignment

P215 60R16 Classic Radial SR Tires (I know these are a problem lol)...aired to 32psi on all 4 corners for the street.

Oh yeah and my monoleaf is splintered a little bit and it sits kinda low in the back (which is esentially level for these cars) :roll:

I usually run the trans on the whole course in "1" unless there is a very fast straight away.

I think i just need to put about 40psi of air in the front tires to fight sidewall rollover...

Any other tips?

You seem to have the right idea going for you. The only way to really tell what needs to be done is to drive it. Better tires will make a huge difference, but I understand, I got Cooper Classics on my Lumina right now. You said you would run 40 psi in the front tires, will you be keeping the rear at 32 psi? That should be the right thing to do, just checking.

Have fun man, I'm so glad to see more people getting into autoX, I mean, cars were meant to be driven right?

Matt

Stealth Motorsports

yeah i plan on keeping the rears at 32psi. Being at Kettering University, and having the free autoX got me hooked on it even though my car didn't do well the 1st two times i went (never changed air pressure and didn't have much done to it)...Its real fun and I know this car handles a bunch better than it used to on the street.

I actually am impressed with how well the cooper classics hold up though...2 auto X events, 35 drag strip passes, 24,000 street miles and they still have over 1/2 of their original tread depth! My sister wore out her old tires in about 30k and she didn't even drive hard!

Yeah, jdcutty and I and i think maybe a few other members go to Kettering.

We might have autocross, but there aren't many women here, that is for sure. :(

Rival schools, I know lol...But co-op terms are great for me, where i live in Belleville and work in Plymouth

Kettering huh? My buddy Nick goes to Kettering. He's he in Sandusky for now for his co-op, and hey he got a girl, don't ask me here name though!?! Damn its a small world, or mabey its because Michigan is W-body country. Whatever. Keep me up to date on the Auto-X thing, I actualy have yet to attend one!

I am actually from PA and bought my car from a guy on Long Island in NY...The Vert came from Virginia, and the Quad 4 came from Indiana!

The world is kinda small!