Fiberglass ?

rshissler

um. yeah why? are you going to paint it maybe? anywho, while you're fiberglassing, why not do the inside of your box as well? it will help prevent leaking if for some reason any of your fastners came loose. also better for structural integrity.

i was gonna glass the entire thing and then paint it, so its sealed tight and looks nice. My friend did his box but he used fiberglass mat and just laid that down and did it. I was just wondering witch to use. So if um just ganna do the outside i should use fleece.

the reason they use fleese is because it soaks up a lot more resin. matt would work fine, but you would just have to do 3 or 4 layers to get what one layer of fleese would do. that the simple reason...you can use fiberglass mat, but flees ist he shit to work with, and it makes you all warm and fuzzy, instead of itchy!!!

^even tho its just being used as a overlay? The box its already built (3/4 MDF) I just want to wrap it in fiberglass or whatever to make it look nice and seal it if it happens to leak somewhere

lol alright thanks. Anykind of special fleece?

get some of that OCC fleece walmart has....thatll look cool AND add horsepower!!! Oh wait? Its not a hond....damn itll only add 5 hp instead of 10...sorry buddy!

^even tho its just being used as a overlay? The box its already built (3/4 MDF) I just want to wrap it in fiberglass or whatever to make it look nice and seal it if it happens to leak somewhere

I appolgize. I didnt realize or I failed to read that it was just being used as an overlay.

The thick fleece will work very well, BUT if it is a large area you may need to reinforce it with the fiberglass matting. If the part that you were ovlaying was a small peice, the fleece would work fine, but over large areas it will obviously get more flimsy.

Just for reference to size...

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34326

Those are a set of pods that I built. There were probably 2 area's on each pod that required a little bit of matting to 'stiffen' them. Those suckers are like ROCKS otherwise.

Subs make a lot of vibration and stuff, and I'd just hate to see you overlay your MDF box, and destroy you work from too much vibation/cracking.

Remember... its cheaper and easier to do it right the first time than it is to go back and fix problems later. 8)

Good luck

I would say that the cloth is easiest to work with. You don't need it to be that thick.

Just use 1 layer of the cloth and resin it up good before and after.

You dont need matting, that is the most expensive stuff anyway.

Thats right though, you should do inside and out. Even if you just do resin coat to waterproof and keep the MDF tight.

Fiberglass reinforced Bondo or bondoglass fills gaps and stuff, dries rock hard.

That is good for gluing on the faceplate of a wheelwell enclosure.

Kitty hair is also a good product if you want to gelcoat it.

You wont need the faceplate fiberglassed at all if you add another faceplate on it. Just double layer it with wet resin in between the layers and resin the entire thing.

I would rather not work with it if I don't have to!

I would say that the cloth is easiest to work with. You don't need it to be that thick.

Just use 1 layer of the cloth and resin it up good before and after.

You dont need matting, that is the most expensive stuff anyway.

Thats right though, you should do inside and out. Even if you just do resin coat to waterproof and keep the MDF tight.

Fiberglass reinforced Bondo or bondoglass fills gaps and stuff, dries rock hard.

That is good for gluing on the faceplate of a wheelwell enclosure.

Kitty hair is also a good product if you want to gelcoat it.

You wont need the faceplate fiberglassed at all if you add another faceplate on it. Just double layer it with wet resin in between the layers and resin the entire thing.

I would rather not work with it if I don't have to!

That is a VERY nice setup you have in your TGP. IMPRESSIVE. 8)