Whats the 'perfect' tire

supreme_style21

I need new tires. I don't want to spend an INSANE amount of money on them, but I want something that performs well in snow, rain, and fair weather. I'd prefer less road noise, but I'll compromise that for performance in climatic conditions. I've been snooping around tirerack and all the counterparts. But I'd like to hear some personal suggestions. I'd like to spend under $700 for all 4. If it makes any difference, the size is 225/60/R16.

It was one of those TV shows.. Hot Rod magazine or Car and Driver (I forget) but the guy basically said all seasons SUCK, because they aren't designed to perform WELL in the summer or winter.

Get a decent set of winter tires, and decent set of summer tires.

In your case since you want good performance tires/less road noise you'd probaby be best to get some good summer tires, and come cheap walmart all-season for the winter.

no such thing as the "perfect" tire for all seasons.

so far i'm fairly fond of the Continental ContiExtremeContact tires i got running on the camaro, tire rack quotes them at about $90 each

I though you had those cheapo shitty firestones?

Try "dayton 'daytona SR'"

They are awesome dry and perform well in wet weather. Take my word here. :D

I have michelins on mine and cannot complain one bit. Although I have not driven these ones in the winter, because there on my rims, I have older michelins on my winter rims. If you get a good michelin tire, you will hear a little road noise, but they make up for it.

They are a little more expensive, but youll be surpirsed in the performance of them!

Toyo Spectrum touring radials, they're a great tire, i paid $325 for 4 on my saturn in the 185/75R14 flavor... hard to find in a 16 though...

my regal had these in 215/55-16 flavor: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+Supra+712&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=155VR6ES712&fromCompare1=yes&place=10

good stuff.

I had Futura Touring HR's on the 96 Lumina in 225/60/16 ($45 apiece at PepBoys) and they performed excellently in the snow. IMHO, the best all season tires for the money though, are BFG Touring T/A's. I can't remember how many sets of those I bought for my numerous old cars from TireRack (back before they had a website even!)

the toyo 800 ultra's are a better tire than the spectrums. yeah, it's true there is no perfect all-season tire. and, yes, cooper makes mastercraft. mastercrafts are, as said, especially good for the price. i have the lsr's. my dad has the sensys 01's and they were great in the snow and seem to work well in fair weather.

BF Goodrich Traction T/A

They are directional, have very flat tread, handle awesome...didn't know they existed when i bought my tires...my sister got them...560 Treadwear, Quiet compared to my tires

bfg_traction_ta_hv_6r_ci1_l.jpg

BF Goodrich are good tires, no question about it.

If you want a good tire that will last you a very very long time, Michelin is the way to go. Most tires are a treadwear of 680 (what mine are) but you can go with the hydroedge that has a treadwear of 800! Thats prolly the best tire youll find.

http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/tires/MichelinHydroEdge.html?tiretype=0&tire=0

just because it has a High tread wear dosnt make it a good tire.

i had some with 680 tread wear and they didnt have very good handleing. they only lasted half of their tread life.. probably b/c the way i drive

i do however like the Bridgestone Potenza G009s they are 72-74~ each + S/H on http://www.tirerack.com

when I was in the market for new tires a couple of months ago I looked good and hard for an inexpensive set. I ended up getting a set of "Sigma's" I had some before and they handled well so I went with them. They are H rated (like 130 MPH) and have a better treadwear than most other tires out there with a lower speed rating (you normally get less treawear with a higher rating due to softer rubber). They ended up costing like 85 each installed, roadside, and balanced. Check around at a small no name shop to get some noname tires ordered for a much cheaper price. I doubt Belle tire would order them, since they are half the price of th tires that they offer.

When you are getting your new tires you should have your tires siped.

Siping does many things, including longer life, better winter traction, rain traction....

I haven't done it myself but I have heard nothing but good about it. I'll probably do it with my next set of tires though.

Here's some info on it.

http://www.tirefactory.net/siping.htm

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tireSiping.dos;jsessionid=CTM9nzhQcWxYKS3gh36KGG5pdWXjTpwzcGQCQxbQjhXvcXhjYgR1!-138888343!232566008

Whatever I get will end up being from Tires Plus.. I get a fairly healthy discount from them.

Seperate tires would be very ideal, however I don't have a spare set of 16" rims to mount them on and I don't want to pay to have them switched every season.

Siping is interesting.. will any place do that?

My dad uses BfGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS on his '95 Impala. Granted, he doesn't get good traction in the winter because it is RWD, they do get damn good traction in pretty much every other condition he drives in.

I like my Falken Ziex 512's so far. Haven't had em in the winter yet but great traction in the rain. I paid $260 shipped for them from discount tire I believe.

I was lurking on an import forum and all those guys were raving about some Falken Ziex something-or-other and I think it was the 512's. They mentioned something about Consumer Reports testing them and rating them #1 or something like that.

I like my Falken Ziex 512's so far. Haven't had em in the winter yet but great traction in the rain. I paid $260 shipped for them from discount tire I believe.

I was lurking on an import forum and all those guys were raving about some Falken Ziex something-or-other and I think it was the 512's. They mentioned something about Consumer Reports testing them and rating them #1 or something like that.

Yeah tire rack had them rated pretty high I believe. Quite a few of the guys on clubgp use em too.