Timing chain

Intlcutlass

I'm looking for the best possible option as far as a timing chain.

for those of you who know, what is the difference between a "roller" timing chain, and a normal one.

Also I don't know if anyone makes one for a 3.1 but I saw a timing chain at a proformance store the other day that had no chain on it at all. it was made up of about 4 gears. one at the top, two on the sides, and one below. Is this a better that normal timing chain???

A standard chain has just links and no rolling pins on the links. A roller chain will look like your bike chain, it will have little rollers on each link. A double roller chain will be two roller chains next to each other. What you saw at the Performance store was a gear drive. They are the most accurate, as they won't stretch like chains do. But they make noise (gear noise, sounds kinda cool). I doubt that you'll find a gear drive to fit on a 3.1/2.8. They also make belt drives, which use a cogged belt instead of a chain. That's probably the best for power output, as belts are efficent. But no the most reliable.

Your best bet is to get a double roller chain set, which will include sprockets and a chain and dampner. I know that there is one out there for the 3.1/2.8. Call Jegs or Summit.

Jason

I called jegs, and they gave me a part number for a roller timing chain, # clo-9-3137. But he said it was for a 2.8, not a 3.1. I know there are really the same motor just a different crank, but can anyone re-assure me that this would work??

To the last post:

Would a 3.4 timing chain work on a 3.1 motor???

I just called Cloyes, and they told me that this timing chain might have a problem with a transverse v6. The timing chain, sprockets, and cover itself are narrower than on say the Camero setup. He actually gave me the part number to look for on the sprockets that would indicate if they are the "narrow" or thinner type or if they are normal size. If your sprocket reads # 14074399 that is the one where it is too thin. If your sprocket # reads 14025558 than you "should" be ok.

Thanks for the info Pat.....

I wonder if you would have to shave out the inside of a stock timing chain cover, or go n get a cover from a camero out of a yard in order to use a double roller...

Any opinions??

problem is ya can't do that. the camaro cover is about 2" thick and then add the water pump on top of that, and the accossory drives. would never fit between the block and the framerail.

I got an Email back from a fella on the Fiero boards who is using Cloyes Double roller timing chain:

No the thickness isn't wider than stock. I have no clearence problems at all. The double roller part is the center of the chain. So the thickness of the chain and the gears are about the same as stock.

Dave

----- Original Message -----

The timing chain for all 60* V-6 engine (overhead valves) are the same. So the 2.8L is interchangeable with the 3.4L from the F-body cars.

I used the Cloyes true roller chain set.

(Jegs P/N 220-9-3137 $92.99)

When you did this, did you have any problems with the width of the chain, or did you have to modify the chain cover in anyway. I'm looking for someone who has done this for a little advice and I really want to use a double roller. Thanks for any help you might offer.

------------------

1988 Fiero Formula