GI: '89 TGP with getrag 284

skalor

I'm thinking of starting a new project involving my '89 Ciera International, but it involves selling my TGP to fund the project. The only way I'm even going to do it is if I can get a certain amount for my TGP. It's an '89 with 130K and it still runs great. It has a getrag 284 in it with a stock 284 clutch, and it's a blast to drive. I did remove the whole A/C system so that may be a drawback for some people. I did all of the work to the car and it has been pretty trouble free except that I had to get a new clutch master cylinder and new shift cables. I'm also going to be most likely converting the car to vacuum brakes over the winter as the PowerMasterIII is going downhill fast. The outside is in really good condition besides that it's missing the front valance(like usual), and the driver's side mirror is flat black. I'll probably be picking up a mirror soon though. The inside is in decent condition, but it needs a new carpet and both front seats have tears in the leather. I do have two good front seats sitting in the garage, but I just haven't gotton around to putting them in yet. I won't be selling this until early spring, but I wanted to know if there was any interest in the car and what kind of offers I could expect. Mods, videos, and pictures listed below. 8)

-getrag 284

-1.6 3100 rockers

-Jeff M. x-over

-Self tuned chip for 5 speed trans

-160 stat

-DSM BOV

-K&N Filter

-gutted cat

-KYB GR-2s put on at 127,000

-Autometer Z-series boost/vacuum gauge

http://www.gmv6.org/videos/TGP14.6.mpg

http://www.gmv6.org/videos/TGPshift.mpeg

TGP01.jpg

TGP05.jpg

TGP18.jpg

TGP19.jpg

TGP21.jpg

TGP11.jpg

TGP13.jpg

TGP15.jpg

TGP16.jpg

would love to bu the car .. Not selling till spring makes saving a little mome even esayer.I Have been looking to buy a tgp that was alread converted to add tom collection... How much are you looking to get out of it..

Yeah, my reaction time was horrible on that run. I usually don't worry about the reaction time as it doesn't affect my times. I usually just take my time so I can actually practice launching without being rushed. :P

I like it a lot...although the lack of A/C would be tough...and i'd imagine its hard to find replacement seats

he has replacment seats he said

thats a really nice car, i know about the valence thing, mines gone too, surprise, but my ABS systems still good thankfully, hope it all works out for you, i wouldnt give up a TGP for a ciera, but its ur car

I'm hoping to build an 11 second turbo 3800 Ciera. It already has a huge advantage because it weighs less than 3000 lbs. I already have a Turbonetics 60-1 turbo sitting at my brother's house. It's actually sitting right next to his 60-1 for his L36/4L60E powered S-10. Anyways, Like I mentioned above I don't want to sell right away, but I wanted to get the word out that my car will be for sale in the spring. I'm thinking at this point I'm looking to get $2800.

I also forgot to mention that it has 1.6 3100 rockers that I recently installed. I added it to the mod list in the original post. :P

I honestly didn't really notice a difference, but it's hard to tell on a car that I don't drive everyday. It does pull uptop very well as proven by my high 96 mph trap with only a 14.6 ET, and that was still on the stock rockers and cat. I'll probably be taking her to the track soon so we'll see what happens then to see if it was worth it.

Yea.. The unfortunate thing is, that the lower part of the bumpers are usually deformed/warped from age and from a sagging valence. So even if you did replace it with a new one, the warped bumper would eventually damage the new one.

Plus, if you are missing the mounting brackets and pieces for it, then it's pointless to spend the money on it. Without those side, bottom and top mounting pieces it won't look good, it won't be very secure, and you'll lose the primary function of the valence, which is to direct air directly in to the condenser coil/radiator.

I found this out when I put Jess's valence back on her TGP. Luckily all the mounting pieces were still on the car, that made it a hell of a lot easier, and it still looks halfway decent. My TGP on the otherhand is missing it's mounting pieces, and the valence is attached to the bumper with many various types of wood and machine screws along with the original factory bolts. I don't know who did that, and it's certaintly not a pretty sight when you look at it from underneith, but it has held it on there for quite a while, and that's all I care about right now. 8)

Yea.. The unfortunate thing is, that the lower part of the bumpers are usually deformed/warped from age and from a sagging valence. So even if you did replace it with a new one, the warped bumper would eventually damage the new one.

Plus, if you are missing the mounting brackets and pieces for it, then it's pointless to spend the money on it. Without those side, bottom and top mounting pieces it won't look good, it won't be very secure, and you'll lose the primary function of the valence, which is to direct air directly in to the condenser coil/radiator.

I found this out when I put Jess's valence back on her TGP. Luckily all the mounting pieces were still on the car, that made it a hell of a lot easier, and it still looks halfway decent. My TGP on the otherhand is missing it's mounting pieces, and the valence is attached to the bumper with many various types of wood and machine screws along with the original factory bolts. I don't know who did that, and it's certaintly not a pretty sight when you look at it from underneith, but it has held it on there for quite a while, and that's all I care about right now. 8)

i havent a clue if i have the mounting brackets or not, but i can still order the midde one, and my JY has a GTP with them still, so im good

i havent a clue if i have the mounting brackets or not, but i can still order the midde one, and my JY has a GTP with them still, so im good

GTP=not the same

if you get it, try using some cheap c- clamps from the hardware store. the screws that come with it are not enough IMO. c-clamps will give it a more snug look. And of course the middle bracket.

BTW, I wouldn't do any high speed runs until you get the valence or you might blow your tranny.

The middle bracket might be easily fabricated. I will attempt to make one tomorrow with a piece of sheetmetal.

The GTP one is not EXACTLY the same, but it's appearance is close enough to what ours looks like. I think I read some where once that the front tip of it doesn't come to as sharp of a point as the TGP ones, but that's not something anyone will notice and recgonize as out of place.

Either way, on a TGP with a warped/old/damaged front bumper cover, it's not worth it to place a new valence on it. The new one will take on the same appearance of the old one over a short amount of time.