TGP oil & fuel pump ?

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

i should have included this in the FPR topic, but forgot....so anyway...

i'm turbocharging my n/a 3.1 with TGP parts.

fuel pump - what should i get for the fuel pump? stock AC Delco for the TGP? does someone have a part #? i've heard the Walbro is overkill? i'm going to use stock TGP injectors, a new FPR, fuel filter, TGP AC Delco plugs etc. the engine will be stock until the shortblock is rebuilt. i'll probably be running the minimum of 4-5 lbs....

oil pump - i've heard that the Melling HV pump should be used, anyone have a part #? also, where would i go to have my oil pan modified for the oil drain? anyone have a TGP oil pan (and/or a waterneck) for sale :)

is there a kit that includes all of the oil & coolant supply/return lines for the TGP?

thanks in advance,

joshua

No answers yet?, don’t be a little surprised, not that TGP are snobs its just that we hear this question a lot and don’t keep answering all of them, there is a lot to undertake but it can be done for sure :-).

TGP fuel pump, good for you asking, I know of a number of engine swappers that still had their NA pump with over 100K miles on it. EP375 is the TGP fuel pump, already an upgraded pump, taken from/shared with the Corvette of that era, and many V8 truck engines.

I have heard enough statements and read some interesting info lately and will concur, get those pintle design versions at 22 lbs. 24 lbs can be run but when the ECM carries forward its fuel trim/BLM/Block Learn Multiplier, the extra/excess fuel will not be there when you go into closed loop/WOT areas, not that the 22 lbs cannot work just fine with up to 12 psi. I would like the owner who got these Bosch units to check the 8 digit part number near the electrical connector so we can find what he got, or based on what I hope was good info to him, look up what goes on that V8 engine and get the part numbers.

As for oil filter, the stock TGP one is again an upgrade (why I keep saying the TGP was well thought out by McLaren :-) ) and is the M95HV and is the best one Mellings offers for our 60 degree V6 (so far, waiting for corrections?). Summit sells these at great prices like only $60. I have not needed to, but the oil pressure relief spring in the TGP block “may†be a higher spring/pressure so might want to check into that if using a non/TGP block. As for turbo oil line feed, there is a port on top of the oil filter location on the side of the block, AN fitting to braided line and you got oil. As for a return, again I have not needed to look at a NA 3.1L pan so as far as have different baffles, this may also be, but adding/welding on a bung would not be that difficult, check the Aeroquip catalog or Earls (little more affordable) for fittings just like you need, might be one that does not require welding/has a pass through thread that an O-Ring and nut are used.

Water connections, the TGP feed and return lines are part of the existing water cooling of the oil/oil filter and the top line that feeds the bottom side of the thermostat. And yes that means the TGP also has an oil cooler (more good stuff, thanks to McLaren) that was part of some options on other 60 degree V6s.

Don’t forget the fuel filter.

Now with this little bit of info, many can see why its not a simple task to walk someone through, tons more questions will come up and fill pages of ideas and concerns. And it’s amazing how many turbo that are on eBay for sale with the owners stating never used, never finished the project once they starting looking more into just having their turbos in hand.

So, bottom line, good luck, it can be done, enjoy the time researching and don’t forget the library for good tech info, and eBay for those guys with 1988-1992 (or so) parts manuals so you can find the different TGP parts and part numbers!!

Jeff M

Guest Anonymous

Jeff M. wrote

As for OIL FILTER, the stock TGP one is again an upgrade (why I keep saying the TGP was well thought out by McLaren ) and is the M95HV and is the best one Mellings offers for our 60 degree V6

You meant to say oil pump, right?

Jeff M. wrote
As for OIL FILTER, the stock TGP one is again an upgrade (why I keep saying the TGP was well thought out by McLaren ) and is the M95HV and is the best one Mellings offers for our 60 degree V6

You meant to say oil pump, right?

Quit nit picking!!! :lol: :joke:

A few answers from personal expeirence to Jeffs concerns in the above post...

The stock NA and TGP oil pans are the same (no extra baffles) with the exception of the oil return fitting/tube. So like Jeff said, just get the fitting for oil return and use your NA oil pan.

And the oil pump spring is stiffer and I don't have the part number here, but I will try to find it and put it here. The turbo oil pump spring is a tad stiffer (thats why TGPs have such high pressure), and it's a good idea to have a little more pressure to help keep the turbo lubed. But get the Melling pump because it does have longer gears. In fact, the Melling pump may already have the stiffer spring...

Jason

Ohhh Oil poop, thank you for cleaning up my typing, I can’t type as fast as I am composing and I need to take time to review all my words, and words :-). Don’t sweat it, you’re more than a man to stand up and say your bumming at home and to apologize, taint no thang, maybe a break on the message boards helps you unload or get away from things on your end, we can take it, we are getting pretty tough around here.

Jeff M

Guest Anonymous

You know what Jeff, you're right. These message boards and you guys are the only things keeping me sane right now. I've got some problems right now in my life and being on here let's me forget about them for awhile.

BTW, it's nice to see a thread with posts from both you and TGPilot in it that isn't an argument. Can we keep it like that? Makes for better quality info.

Thanks guys.

Guest TurboSedan

thank you very much for the replies, i'm just trying to get my parts list together. my GTS should be running by the end of this month and the CS turbo project should begin next month :) i would like to get bigger injectors (24lbs?) also, ecspecially since i'm using a custom chip anyway. i haven't really researched the injector thing yet, but i know there is a really good thread on the other TGP forum concerning injectors. the Melling 134HV has been suggested to me, i don't know too much about oil pumps as i've never replaced one. do they come with the stiffer springs?

btw, i just paid for my TGP T25 and crossover today!! so now i have a pretty darn complete turbo 3.1 kit consisting of:

- TGP '3.1 INTERCOOLED TURBO' plenum

- TGP intercooler (x2)

- TGP radiator, both fans, and upper mounting panel

- TGP Garrett T-25 turbocharger (not here yet)

- TGP upper & lower intercooler pipes and hoses

- TGP crossover (x2) (one isn't here yet)

- TGP downpipe

- TGP rear exhaust manifold

- TGP wastegate solenoid

- TGP coolant supply pipe for TB/turbo

- DSM 1g BOV

i still need to get the TGP waterneck but i think i can probably just use a longer upper radiator hose and my n/a waterneck if i can't find one (?). still lots of parts to go, like boost and A/F gauges, Diacom, gaskets galore, oil and fuel pumps, injectors, new oil/coolant return and supply lines, new clutch, custom turbo support bracket for use with my Getrag, blah blah blah :) thanks again everyone

joshua

joshua

You know what Jeff, you're right. These message boards and you guys are the only things keeping me sane right now. I've got some problems right now in my life and being on here let's me forget about them for awhile.

BTW, it's nice to see a thread with posts from both you and TGPilot in it that isn't an argument. Can we keep it like that? Makes for better quality info.

Thanks guys.

You know with me saying it too many times lately all the TGP owners I have talked to since 1990 (over 2,000) I have though gained a huge amount of friends, guys that I helped like many, above and beyond the call of duty. Many of these have indicated their door (car or home) is open anytime I am in their area, that is from guys in Canada to Hawaii to Finland to all over the USA. So I know how great the internet can be in finding way more good people to associate with than would ever be possible in your home town. My wife freaks when I have one of these guys over to stay the weekend when I have never even seen them or talked to them on the phone. Dave Zug was one such fellow that came here for a weekend, back in 1996, we talked non-stop for 2 days on chips and engine tuning and anything to do with the TGP, it was great!! For those of you that don’t know Dave, he was the first with a TGP web site and a message board way back 7 years ago. A little challenge that comes with having a few hundred friends is they know they can email me with a problem and get good help, but just think what it is like to virtually own a few hundred used cars, thank god they are all the same TGPs that I am pretty familiar with :-).

As for talking with the Pilot, maybe the next time I post something that seems odd, out of context or confusing he can just private message me to talk about it and get it better understood, correct me or whatever.

So, don’t hesitate to unload, we are a tight family here, that is what I have fought for in keeping things more respectful between us all, so that we have more of like the last post here from Jason and others regarding this TGP parts info, that is what I like to hear for us (if others agree) not that someone got it wrong or does not know enough, we just add as much as we know and everyone else fills in the rest, could not be a more open and comfortable atmosphere when that happens! Who knows, I am an old/maybe elder-statesman with some wisdom to offer some ideas to help take on your home-based challenges, nothing better than someone who has done it before, already made the mistakes, I can brag about those mistakes if it helps someone else :lol: .

Jeff M

Guest TurboSedan

man, i *really* need that waterneck, but i also need two crossovers! one of my crossovers is going to be rebuilt with a Garrett T3 flange, and the other will be rebuilt keeping the stock T25 flange. but if you want to sell it, please PM me! btw, i do have an extra TGP intercooler and an extra air box->turbo hose that i would be willing to work out a deal with. let me know,

joshua

Thanks guys.

I will do my best! :cheers:

Guest Anonymous

Thanks guys.

I will do my best! :cheers:

Thanks Kenny!

you might want to look into some tgp electronics if you are going to run more than 9 psi of boost. and different map sensor. you might already have them i don't know. just checking with ya..

ryan

Guest TurboSedan

yes i'll be buying a GM 2-bar MAP sensor. i think i might have to modify the connector, but that shouldn't be too much trouble. i already bought an ECM from a TGP but i'm not using it anyway. i'm using a chip from TGPilot since i have a 5-speed.

joshua

I remove that orenge plastic from the 2bar with nidle nose pliyers and installed the blue-green? I think plastic from my old 1bar map. That's the easest mod to make your plug fit into the 2bar.

Let me know how your T3 flinge works out. I might do the same.