WHITE SMOKE=CACA??????

TurboKid

My car has been running great since it's been on the road (3 months). I lent me car to me dad on the weekend and he said there was tons of white smoke coming from the exhaust when he got home (this is at idle). My thoughts were, he was f.o.s! This was about a week ago. This morning I stopped to get a coffee on the way to work and left my car run outside the coffee shop.............about 3 minutes from home. When I came outside the parking lot was full of white smoke........I actually thought my car was on fire!! I couldn't believe the amount of smoke coming out. I jumped in and took off. I hammered the gas from 2nd gear to 5th gear and smoke went away when I got the about 4th. It never smoked all the way to work (about 15-20 minutes drive). It didn't smell like coolant, it smelt more like fuel and oil then anthing else. I checked my oil/coolant levels and they were perfect. The car doesn't hesitate, overheat, or feel underpowered. I think its a turbo seal, or a valve seal problem when the engine is cold, and when it warms up there's enough expansion to seal it from leaking................just my theory!! Or my settings (chip) are way to rich at idle. But this was never an issue before.................................what does everyone think?? Would it be hard to rebuild my turbo (T25)? Can I get rebuild kits for it? I'm heading out for lunch right now, I'll let everyone know how it is.

I would say that its coolant burning - or trans fluid.

Mine did that and it was the vacuum modulator. Pull of the vacuum hose and see if there is trans fluid in it. Also check your trans fluid.

If its not that it could be a head gasket leaking coolant into engine or it needs a turbo rebuild kit because its a water cooled turbo and leaking into turbo

Well, I just got back from lunch and it didn't do it at all!! I even stopped at the bank for 2 minutes and let it idle, but there's was absolutetly no smoke..................very wierd. I went through the drive through of the coffee shop and again..........no smoke!! Do you know where I can get a rebuild kit for the T25 and is it hard to do? Are they expensive? It makes sense that since its water cooled that there's a leak.............but why would it happen just once in a blue moon!! Like everyone says.............if it doesn't smoke a little, it isn't fast!! LOL I'm running a 5-speed tranny though, not an automatic.

I would say it's either the oil return line or the turbine seal. You can buy a new turbine seal for under $10 on ebay. I bought the gapless turbine seal and it cost me $15. My car was the same way when my turbine seal was bad. Some days it would hardly smoke, and others it looked like I was crop dusting. I would start with the turbine seal since it's so cheap to replace. Just search for "T25 seal" on ebay. 8)

I get white smoke pouring out of my tailpipes whenever I top off my fuel tank. For some reason it takes a couple of minutes to start, smokes for about 5 minutes or so, then goes away till I top it off again. No idea why, but if I don't top it off, I get no smoke.

thanks guys! I agree, I'll start with the turbine seal! I completely know what you mean by crop dusting, I split a gut when I read that, lol. A guy in-line at the coffee shop this morning noticed it and asked if someones car was on fire outside............to my suprise it was mine! I almost wish it was burning, cause I felt like a turd when I walked outside and just drove off with it like it was nothing, lol. I'll just tell people in the mean time, that I'm cleaning out the rotator splint to keep the flux capacitor relay bearing in-line, lol. "Buy it from local hardware store, "FLUX-ALL"

LOL,

Thanks again guys!