Possible Purchase of STE

Redfox340

I found it... I touch it, ...and I drove it. Looking in the Denver metro ads, I came across a 1990 Grand Prix STE and had to check it out. Now, this is a possible deal, but first off... I don't know the turbo motor that well (although I'm pretty good when it comes to maintenance on a NA 2.8L / 3.1L). When I go back later in the day, anything mechanical to look for?

It drove well, even with 135K miles... but there are some minor auto systems and serious trim / cosmetic issues that need to dealt with; here's the list:

- ABS light on / mushy pedal / can hear ABS pump activate when pedal is pressed

- DIS complaining about doors not closed when in fact they are (sensors, right?)

- cruddy passenger door alignment, but no accidents reported

- torn front driver seat

- missing trim parts / cracked door panels

- ripped out keyless entry / hacked up wiring and electrical

- non-working CD player

- no A/C

The owner wants $2250 for it... yeah right... best of luck on that. I ran a basic blue book price and didn't get a value for it... What do you guys think? Worth the effort for $1500, or is it a electrical problem and money pit for somebody else? Thanks for input!

Also, I will post pictures tonight, and add them to this post!

- RedFox340

No, I dont think it worth the price at all. Like has been said, ABS systems are expenisive as hell so I would stay away from that. I would just ask him what he wants for the motor. Maybe you could even take that turbo off and throw it on your 3.4LDOHC!! Just being unrealistic, sorry, work is really boring right now. But I would say its not worth the money or time.

-Robby

ABS could just be accumulator precharge being low, but at $500, I guess it is pretty pricey.

The wiring hacked up is really scary. Sounds like its had a rough life. I'm usually a proponent for higher prices, but this one doesn't sound like its worth much. The door ajar is a series of diodes to each door pin that also operates the dome light. So that all the doors will operate the light, but indicate the correct door ajar light, the are separated via diodes. So if it says all the doors are open, thats probably it.

If you are going to spend any money you could probably find a better one, but if you can get him to a reasonable level (i would say $1000) it may be worth it.

Chris

I agree with Chris, on this one, my second TurboSTE Needs all the door panels, the passenger window put back it the track, the ABS replaced ($476 from PriorReman) a starter, and a radio. I paid $500 for it.

Well, thank you... looking at it again and all of your comments helped make a decision: nope, not getting it, not worth it. It would be cool, but the owner does not want to part it out for the motor; he says it was in good condition and worth his price as posted... Anyway, here's some eye candy for you:

http://www.strike9.com/file.aspx?path=/redfox340/fullsize/ste01.jpg

(pictures will be available for two weeks, fill in picture numbers from ste01 - ste09; enjoy)

- RedFox340

The owner before the current one whacked off the mufflers and put on some resonating tips (loud as hell) so, the current owner (who's selling it now) wanted a cheap fix: cut off the driver side and Y-pipe and had a muffler shop weld on just a single chamber muffler. The main purpose for him of the car was for getting from point A to point B; nothing more. Crap, huh? You'd think he'd put a little more effort into maintaining it...

- RedFox340

If you get it, I'll help you in any way possible. You will have only the second one in the state, I'm in Colorado Springs and have done a lot of work on mine.

I am currently away on business but feel free to e-mail me if you get it.

Thomas

If you get it a few things to consider when negotiating price and owning; Missing the big plastic ECM cover, need that for keeping the ECM from soaking in the engine heat. Looks like the vacuum lines coming off the top of the throttle body are messed up, maybe an injector was replaced and the vacuum lines not routed properly, careful as one of these is critical as it feeds the fuel pressure regulator/MAP sensor. Lift up the o2 sensor wire and run it over the black intake pipe as this will keep it from melting into the hot areas of the turbo’s exhaust side. And on that intake pipe, as it goes to the throttle body, the closest clamp there to the TB looks cocked and this tricky mounting area has been known to bleed off boost if alignment is not correct for those clamps and the hose there between the TB and intake pipe. The rear passenger side door appears to have a repaint far as I can tell from the pics, it appears to not have the same shine as the front passenger door. Thanks for the many excellent pics, I can tell a lot from those, and like others say, if you can snag it for less, would be a good buy as any 13 year old car will have some issues. Good luck.

Jeff M

If you change your mind about getting it, let me know.

There's a burgandy Turbo STE in the local 'yard that still has many good interior parts left. Jim gets the door panels if they're still there next time I go, but everything else should still be good.

I don't get a lot of chances to make it out there due to work work work M-F (coinciding with JY operating hours) but one of these days I may take vacation to go out there.

And they say that peer pressure doesn't effect people... I beg to differ. Okay, you guys rock and thanks for the motovation, the positive comments and the kind words... like I said before, I know a decent amount and the turbo powerplant would be a nice edition, but I think Redturbo90 said it best... "I see it as a money pit".

I'm close to RedZMonte, so when his turbo project pulls through, I'm driving down and getting help from him. So, Robby1870... don't worry it'll happen. If this thread continues as is, maybe in a week I call the guy up again and offer a low price... Twalt13, I appriciate your involvement and I'll keep you posted on it. Otherwise, I'm on the back-burner for now and see where this might take me.

Jeff M, if I go back to look for the third time, I'll remember you pointers... but from the camera angle view, it does look like it's been repainted and I haven't ran a Carfax report on it. He did have the fuel injectors replaced along with brake (discs and pads) so that why the vacuum hoses are all over the place.

GnatGoSplat, I'll let you know, you'll all know if something happens. DON'T GET ME WRONG, I would LOVE to have it, but theres a ton of electrical and ABS problems that overwieght the sticker price. Thanks all for the input, means alot!!!

- RedFox340

Guest Anonymous

:yak: I'd just hate to see you buy it and not be able to do anything with it except keep pouring money into it. I mean, you already have a really nice car to drive and it would be nice to have the TSTE, but I think your money would be better spent on what you have now.

And on that intake pipe, as it goes to the throttle body, the closest clamp there to the TB looks cocked and this tricky mounting area has been known to bleed off boost if alignment is not correct for those clamps and the hose there between the TB and intake pipe.

Jeff M

Also be careful as the throttle linkage can get caught on the clamp screw and get the throttle stuck OPEN! Scary! I had this happen once and my only remedy was to cycle the key. I'd hate to have a stuck throttle and a stuck key! What would one do!

Chris

Also be careful as the throttle linkage can get caught on the clamp screw and get the throttle stuck OPEN! Scary! I had this happen once and my only remedy was to cycle the key. I'd hate to have a stuck throttle and a stuck key! What would one do!

I would pray that I don't also have a stuck shifter!