Clear corners for a Cutlass?

19Cutlass94

Does anyone make clear corners for a Cutlass? I dont know if theydo or not, prolly not. Is there any way to make them clear? Like any kind of chemicals I can use to make them clear or would it have to be a specially made part? Any help, its something Ive been wanting to do for such a long time.

There arent any aftermarket corners yet, the sedan and older coupes are the wrong shape/size, and since they are molded in amber plastic, there isn't any chemical to change it. You have to make them from scratch.

ive wanted to also, and posted almost an identical thread about 3 or 4 months ago with nothing. there was one guy who did them himself, but i dont know who it was. does anyone at all know who that was? (or who has clear corners?)

does 93cuttysupreme's car look freakishly familiar to Kevin's old car or is it just me?

or is it Kevins old car?(sorry to hijack)

i didnt know the 88-90's had em...

yea, the 88-90 had the little reflectors about half way down the fascia and there unoticlable on Red cars, but the rest u can see em,sabe with the back bumper, u might be able to see em in my sig or on my car domain

I asked a friend if it was possible to remove the paint or dye or whatever it is on the corners and he said no. How much would I be looking at to have them made? Because I dont think theres a way I could do em here, unless someone knows of a way ro remove the dye or something?

does 93cuttysupreme's car look freakishly familiar to Kevin's old car or is it just me?

or is it Kevins old car?(sorry to hijack)

i didnt know the 88-90's had em...

:lol: NO...its not JUST YOU...i saw it yesterday and was thinkin the same thing...it does look like kevins car... :?

I asked a friend if it was possible to remove the paint or dye or whatever it is on the corners and he said no. How much would I be looking at to have them made? Because I dont think theres a way I could do em here, unless someone knows of a way ro remove the dye or something?

They aren't dyed. Like I said in my first post, they are molded orange plastic. Even if they were dyed, which I am pretty sure they arent, GM would dye them from the inside, and you'd probobly bust them to hell trying to get them apart, to get at the dyed side.

If you just pulled the amber part off the the housing, you'd be left with a white plastic piece of shit. Besides, it would be really hard to get it apart in the first place.

An idea that I've kept to myself, would be to take the 88-91 coupe corners, and cut some of the bottom off so it'll fit. The 88-91s are quite a bit taller than the 92-97s, but otherwise look dimensionally the same. I have heard they mount different though...

None of the ideas will work.

They are molded in amber plastic, and there is only 1 layer, the amber plastic layer. You can cut the orange lens off and replace it with textured material like the crap used on fluorescent lights... I've seen at least 2 Cutlass owners do that, but IMO it looks like ghetto homemade crap.

You can make some professionally using a moldmaking kit... cut your lenses off, make a mold, and cast some duplicates using clear liquid acrylic. Sounds like it will work in theory and I know a guy that makes them for Chryslers... from internet pics, they look like factory, but clear. I contacted the guy that makes them for Chryslers and he said he'd give me a call... but he never did. From that point, I just decided I would try this project... someday.

You can't cut 88-91 lights because they do mount differently... very differently. You could possibly get creative and fabricate some brackets and such, but there is an amber lens inside them too. It's not real easy at all to cut open the 88-91 lights... there is an ultrasonic weld in the middle that is real hard to get to. I had a scrap cracked light that I tried to open, and when I tried to overcome that middle weld, the light cracked in 2.

One last possibility is to expose the light to a heavy dose of UV. I'm not sure if this will work, but I've noticed some early 88-91 lights, the amber part has faded to yellow. GM might have improved the dye they use in the plastic though... I can't say I've ever seen a faded 92-97 light. Not to mention UV can yellow the clear plastic.

That's because it is Kevin's old car...his brother is driving it now

:werd:

and as for clear corners, I know they don't make them and I think they would be very difficult to make yourself. If you find a way, please share the details

I do have a couple of ideas, but Id rather not say right now until I actually try it and see what happens. Because if something bad happens, I wouldnt want people on the forum trying it and have the same bad problem happen. But when I do try a couple things, Ill be sure to let everyone know how it went. Ill probably be starting tomorrow, was just too busy today.

some one try and contact toastemcutlass or try his cardomain site

he made em for his cutty....somehow??

and i thought it was his brother with kevins car!

You can cut the orange lens off and replace it with textured material like the crap used on fluorescent lights... I've seen at least 2 Cutlass owners do that, but IMO it looks like ghetto homemade crap.

You guys mentioning toastem and Redfox... they're the 2 guys I was talking about.

Well nothing I tried today worked. So Im either going to have this one place custom make them for me, or Ill make them myself. I share details if it comes down to me making them.

It should look fine as long as the film doesn't peel. I wonder how well would tint film hold up on the outside?

You could also try painting them silver. The stuff I used to paint the rear sidemarkers silver on my car still passes light pretty well.

I was very tempted to stop in (to the Tint King) today and ask, but Ive been busy and I dont know when they close. But I was thinking maybe like a 5% tint on the turn signals. And maybe something a little light on the headlights? Im still waiting for this one place to get back to me that specializes in making clear corners, but I guess if he doesnt get back to me, that means the Cutlass isnt a good enough sports car for him :lol: