!

Invasion1

Ok for the Boost/Vac Gauge Vaccume line...

I have my BOV line hooked to the old location on the upper intake where the trans modulator line used to be....by the TB.

it should be fine if i install a "T" and run the Gauge feed line off that correct?

thats the most accurate place i figure but if anyone can back me up here i would appreciate it :D

It should be ok yes. As long as your BOV does not bleed boost when it gets up in the 10-12lbs range. What BOV are you using?

As for the EGT Gauge.....mounting the Bung and sender in the Downpipe......yikes!!!!!! :shock:

thanks

Dave

The EGT needs to be as close to the LEANEST cylinder as possible. I would ask Jeff M or someone who has done SERIOUS tuning on these cars which cylinder will be the leanest/hottest. Putting it down on the downpipe there is serious cooling of the gases already at the downpipe and you will not get an accurate reading. It would be nice if we all had the cash to put an EGT probe at every cylinder on the exhaust manifold...but that would be a serious gauge cluster!! :shock:

Is your A/F going to the ECM output or are you running a WideBand sensor? I have learned more and more about tuning with my DSM and if it is just to the ECM it will be a fancy blinking or number scrolling light....nothing more. You are getting a reading that the ECM thinks it sees...a stand-alone wideband 02 tells you exactly what is happening and a descent tuning tool. 8)

Guest TurboSedan

i was going to attempt T-ing my boost gauge in near the MAP sensor, that way i could run the nylon line across the rear engine bay along the firewall, nowhere close to any hot parts. that wouldn't affect MAP signal would it? hmmm....

sounds nice Dave, can't wait to see the pics :)

Dave your datalogger is getting the same "what the ECM thinks it sees" input. As long as your 02 is in perfect working order it will help to show you what is up...but a stand-alone WB02 is the true way to go. You should have no problem then with a 1G BOV, MBC, and Gauge together. My 1G BOV has taken 20 PSI without a hint of a leak.

Josh...I would not tie into the MAP sensor circuit. The BOV opening and closing will surely send goofy signals into the MAP. Thus making your ECM wonder WTF is up. We have a perfect spot on the 5-speed cars to plug in at the old modulator port. My DSM uses a T for the BOV and MBC and there are zero issues with them there together. If you are looking for another port for your Boost Gage you can open the bung in the VIN V intake for it.

Guest TurboSedan

if the bung you refer to is the plug in the center rear of the plenum, i can't use that because i use vacuum brakes. no PM3 here.

however, i am surprised that the BOV could affect the MAP signal, or that the boost gauge could affect the MAP signal for that matter. i have always planned on having my BOV go straight to the plenum where the vacuum modulator previously went. now, on my TD i have a McMaster-Carr manifold distribution block. this block is the vacuum/boost source for the FPR, MAP, boost gauge, and BOV (i have the MBC sourced to the fitting on the compressor outlet to better prevent boost spiking). there are a whole lot of TD guys doing it this way with excellent results (including myself). not trying to argue but i really don't see the difference with our 3.1 Turbo engines.

what i would like to do is cut the hard plastic vacuum line near the MAP sensor and use a rubber T-fitting just like what is on the FPR. it would simply be T'd behind the plenum to go to the MAP sensor and off to the boost gauge.

Guest TurboSedan

i am familiar with the Cutlass interior and that sounds like a great place to mount the gauges :) i myself am planning on installing a dual gauge A-pillar pod but i know you don't like those.

I guess it is more of an opinion and "I'm scared to mess with that sensor" fear that I am saying not to tie in there. That MAP sensor to me is vital to your ECM knowing exactly what it needs to do for fuel at boost levels. I suppose it wouldn't hurt...but like I said...I'm scared to mess with that air circuit. :wink: :lol: 8)

Guest TurboSedan

very understandable. i was a bit afraid of that too until i saw all of the TD guys getting rid of the original (crap) TD vacuum line harness and simplify everything with the distribution block (a very popular TD mod). alot of these guys really know what they are doing, so i did the same and it has been GREAT!

on a side note - i have to admit, there are a few things that i see people doing with TDs and i just want to adapt that stuff to the 3.1 Turbo. the grainger valve MBC for example. it works soooo damn good on my GTS...but...considering the small size of our TGP turbo on this 3.1 V6 it may not work so well....only time will tell :mrgreen: if a grainger valve MBC dialed in at 10psi causes surge at low RPM, i will just have to go with the ECM controlled wastegate solenoid (OMG i do NOT want to use that thing!)

Yea, the MBC is a nice addition.

I can't get it to go much over 10 PSI though, so I'm not sure if the BOV is leaking or what.

I did find a big vacuum leak today on the hose going to the vacuum canister. It was cracked in about 3 places behind the battery, which explains my problems with the air vents acting up. Car seems to run better now that I replaced it, and my lights quit dimming after I replaced my worn out battery. :mrgreen:

Now you got me thinking. What would that be like if you took out the tgp screen and loaded that up with gauges? I hate that little screen anyway and the thing always resets itself. The buttons could be all gutted and switches installed there. The blue is tits, Do they have a compass? Actually the only thing I would miss is the fuel economy function (which I am not sure if it is even accurate) instant economy and avg. but could live without because of those pocket dyno computers probably do all that type of good stuff.

Anyway, looks good......real good.

I got my boost gauge on the pillar and installing the tranny temp up there soon, hopefully. Then those three you got next and maybe a compass and hopefully it stops there :lol: and a shift light.

Now you got me thinking. What would that be like if you took out the tgp screen and loaded that up with gauges? I hate that little screen anyway and the thing always resets itself. The buttons could be all gutted and switches installed there. The blue is tits, Do they have a compass? Actually the only thing I would miss is the fuel economy function (which I am not sure if it is even accurate) instant economy and avg. but could live without because of those pocket dyno computers probably do all that type of good stuff.

Anyway, looks good......real good.

Someone that sold their TGP a while back on ebay had a gauge or two mounted where the Driver's information unit/screen used to be. I'll try to find the pictures I saved of that setup.

BTW, nice gauges Davis. 8)