drive or over-drive for racing

frusciante fan

I seriously want to know who is filling your poor heads with the OD hurts your tranny lies?

All OD transmissions are Automatic Overdrive. Thats what it means, and automatic transmission with a overdrive gear ratio. thats it. No, oh the OD trannies have a OD and the automatic OD trannis have a D. No. If the transmission has no position of overdrive, its not an overdrive transmission. 3 speeds tend to be Non-overdrive simply because their top gear is a direct drive gear. Most 4 speed transmissions tend to be OD because their top gear has a overdriven gear ratio, as the wheels turn faster then the engine, rather then the engine turning faster then the wheels.

I guarentee no additional wear will come to your transmission if you leave it in OD. Thats what its designed for. OD is designed for fuel economy. It shifts earlier, and allows the Torque Converter Clutch to lockup earlier, allowing a more direct flow of power, minimizing powertrain HP loss. Some one, please tell me how this can cause additional wear to your trans? If your whooping on the trans its gonna wear, but if you just cruise on it, leave it in OD. Thats what it was designed for.

Heza, I am in school for automotive tech. I have taken two classes on Automatic drivetrains. I think I know what I'm talking about. If you want to leave your car in D, fine, but in no way will it couse damage to the trans if you drive it around in OD.

well u should only have P RD21, so u have automatic overdrive, so ur not really in overdrive till the computer say, but us on the other hand have Non electronic ones

My old car (1988 GP) had the 4T60 (not-e). On the console it had PRN(OD)D21.

On my car now it's got the 4T60E- On the console is says PRND321. I'd have to say I can't really tell a difference between the 2 trannys and their shifting patterns, only that the 3100 has more power so it stays in OD longer than the 2.8 could...

So everybody keep your tranny in OD or D or whatever the hell it is. Put a damn tranny cooler on your tranny cause heat is really the main enemy of automatic transmissions. :mrgreen:

well u should only have P RD21, so u have automatic overdrive, so ur not really in overdrive till the computer say, but us on the other hand have Non electronic ones

Me? I have:

P

R

N

OD

D

TGP already has one, but that won't save the OD gear that exists in the 4T60.

Those and mine (cross-laced wheels that are black).

Only if your tranny fluid is old and you floor it to pass someone when that old tranny pump cant get enough flow because the filter is clogged.

OD is designed for fuel economy. It shifts earlier, and allows the Torque Converter Clutch to lockup earlier, allowing a more direct flow of power, minimizing powertrain HP loss.

Are you saying OD sends more power to the wheels then D? I have OD, D,3,2,1... I've noticed it seemed to have more "grunt" in D. I've gone to D in D.... Everyone is confusing the shit out of me & u seem like u know wha u talkin about. 8)

[Everyone is confusing the shit out of me & u seem like u know wha u talkin about. 8)

Whats there to be confused about? The overdrive is for going flat out fast like 130 mph and up and the D gear on the shifter is for doing burnouts and slammin thru gears. But only when you have fresh oil and filter in the tranny. And if you are flooring it with 250 hp or more you will snap the overdrive off if the shifter is in OD.

[Everyone is confusing the shit out of me & u seem like u know wha u talkin about. 8)

Whats there to be confused about? The overdrive is for going flat out fast like 130 mph and up and the D gear on the shifter is for doing burnouts and slammin thru gears. But only when you have fresh oil and filter in the tranny. And if you are flooring it with 250 hp or more you will snap the overdrive off if the shifter is in OD.

Who the hell SLAMS THROUGH GEARS in an automatic?!

You will actually get a higher top speed, with the gearing in these trannies, by leaving in in D. The gearing in 4th/OD is too low, and you would actually go slower than you would in D.

this thread = teh suk

slick...see my sig....I changed it mirror yours

WERD

This thread is officially teh-ghey! :fruity:

Do a search kiddies and learn more about how transmissions work. :P