drive or over-drive for racing

frusciante fan

well, if you're racing it down a 1/4 mile...i'd go drive or 2nd would be better becuase its prolly never gonna get past 2nd...but, i don't really think it'd matter if you're just going from a stoplight...

well, for everyday driving below 40mph is bad to leave it in OD, becuase tranny fluid pressure isnt as high, and causes unnessesary wear and tear on the tranny, but i think u should be in D anyway, there no way in hell ur gonna hit 4th on a 1/4 mile strip, or really any time on the streets, and if u do, shit it into OD

i live just a couple miles from town and most of the time i'm just going to school or work. so would i be better off just using drive then or what?

it's a fucking vette eater.

:lol: :roll:

Yeah... okay...

Overall, If you just leave the trans in OD you should be fine. It will simply keep your fuel economy up. I will cause no extra wear and tear on the tranny, unless your in OD and go WOT at like 45 mph and dump to 2nd. Thats a pritty harsh downshift. And god knows these 4T60s hate their lives as it is.

If you dont go whoopin on her, she'll treat ya nice. If your rude to her, she'll show you that your two feet are more reliable.

that actually did make me laugh.

just put it in 3. OD/D takes a lot of the RPM band out before going into OD/D from 3rd/

that actually did make me laugh.

just put it in 3. OD/D takes a lot of the RPM band out before going into OD/D from 3rd/

PSST... D is 3...

:lol: :roll:

Yeah... okay...

Overall, If you just leave the trans in OD you should be fine. It will simply keep your fuel economy up. I will cause no extra wear and tear on the tranny, unless your in OD and go WOT at like 45 mph and dump to 2nd. Thats a pritty harsh downshift. And god knows these 4T60s hate their lives as it is.

If you dont go whoopin on her, she'll treat ya nice. If your rude to her, she'll show you that your two feet are more reliable.

ok, yes, it is bad to drive below 40 mph in OD, or else why would GM even care if they had a D and OD? its a fact that theres lower transmission fluid pressure when in OD under 40 mph, it doesn give ubetter fuel economy under 40-50 mph, becuase it wont shif into 4th (overdrive) untill that speed, mabye canada, or someone who went to school about this can chime in

As far as your racing goes.. you'd probably JUST hit 3rd gear reaching the end of the track in a 1/4 mile race. I haven't taken my 95 to the track due to the transmission, but I did lots with my 88. Best way to do it is to put it in 2nd. The 1st-2nd gear shift the tranny shifts at the perfect point- doing it manually woun't do any good. However holding it in 2nd a little higher in the RPMs then shifting to 3rd (D) might give you a LITTLE bit of an edge, but not much. If you're not sure, just leave it in drive (or 3rd, whatever it is on your car). I wouldn't race in OD but it really doen't make a difference in an automatic.... :P

As far as normal driving goes, I think if you have the 4T60E or anything newer you are fine. The tranny guy said that with the older trannys it did make a difference cause they would shift alot more causing wear, but newer trannys are fine. For normal driving keep it in OD for best gas mileage.

The "gear selector" only limits what gears the tranny can go into. It wont go into actual 4th gear until about 47mph, with light throttle. The more you are in the gas the later it will shift. I dont get this "If the selector is in OD, it'll break your tranny" crap. The only reason I would use the "D" is for the fact the tranny will shift into 4th at about 47mph with light throttle, there no power there. Hold it in D til about 55mph. If you dont like it shifting into 4th that early, hold it in 3rd til then.

Guest TurboSedan

when my Cutlass had an automatic i NEVER put it into OD unless i was cruising at 55mph or higher. i do the same with my Bonneville now.

Try getting your car to go faster than a 17 before ou race it. And if toy really have to race, launch in 2nd, let tranny shift from 1-2, shift manually from 2-3. [rant]And with people saying "shifting manually will mess up your tranny!111elleven!112!" You can kiss it. Why do you think they put a 1-2-D-OD on the "SHIFTER"? (hint hint) Why do you see aftermarket "SHIFTERS" (hint freakin hint) in hotrods? Because they look better? NO! Because it makes it easyer to "SHIFT" the "SHIFTER" through the gears! [/rant] :willynilly:

For about every automatic on this board, put it in 2 for the quarter mile, and leave it there. Even mine with the higher gearing and engine work, just as I cross the 1/4 mark, i'm just hitting 7000 rpm in 2nd gear.

no clue.... Uh... let me think.....

shifting the tranny manually ain't bad for it. :|

its Automatic Overdrive for a reason, it won't go into OD unless it feels its a good idea.

but we dont have Automatic overdrive, lol, thats why we have the 12D0D

my moms GA has automatic overdrive, 12D thats it

Um, as far as I know, putting it in "D" is like hitting the "O/D OFF" toggle switch on some cars.

The TCC does lock up at slower speeds, though. You can see an RPM difference if you shift from "D/3" to "O/D" even at ~30 MPH. Try it sometime.

For about every automatic on this board, put it in 2 for the quarter mile, and leave it there. Even mine with the higher gearing and engine work, just as I cross the 1/4 mark, i'm just hitting 7000 rpm in 2nd gear.

7000RPM? shit mine redlines at 5500RPM, but engine work, so yeah, but I guess the old 4T60 has 1 2 D OD? I know the newer 4T60-E has 1 2 3 D. If you have the older one, which it sounds like you do, put it in D, unless Im wrong with the above, then just put it in 2. If its the newer 4T60-E, youd put it in 3, because D is overdrive. But then again, start racing with the 4T60, after a while, expect some bad news.

Take it from a guy driving around every day with the thing in D because my OD is broke. :bash: Good thing it still gets me from A to B for now :roll: .Jeff M will tell you the same thing. I am thinking about developing a switch to light a LED on my boost gauge when the thing is in OD so I won't floor it and strip out my fresh tranny I have to build. BTW the 4t60 can take like 400 ponies in D :shock: