Wierd Electrical Issue...plz help

SigEpCutlass

Guys,

About 3 weeks ago I was taking my grandma home in my cutty after my sister's HS graduation. I was almost to her house when my car went nuts b/c the battery in my remote for my car alarm was dying. What I mean by that is it started messing with my power locks and making them rapidly lock/unlock. I talked to my uncle over the phone (used to sell lots of W's) and he said to replace the battery in my remote for alarm.

FYI: I have a Clifford dual stage shock sensor alarm system w/ a battery backup not a GM factory alarm.

That fixed the problem so I thought. Then I noticed that my seatbelt fastened sensor was not working properly, and only lights up at ignition. I could drive around w/o a seatbelt and it wouldn't light up. Also, the chime for leaving your lights on no longer is working & the chime for leaving your keys in the ignition does not work now.

The first thing I did was check the fuses, and all of them are fine. The cutlass has been driving fine and I've had no problems since then, but it just bugs me that these things don't work. Anyone have any idea of what to do?

If I don't get any suggestions I guess I'll take it to the dealership and have them run an electrical diagnostic test. I was planning on trading in the cutlass before August 1st to get a GM certified '00 or '01 GP GT 2dr Coupe, so I'm not looking for some expensive solution. However, I'm open to all suggestions at this point.

i've had this car alarm on here almost since I've had the cutty. Plus, I had it professionally installed and I have no idea how it's wired.

Most alarms will come with lifetime warantee (sp?) maybe take it back to the place you got it installed and tell them what happened and what you replaced (the battery), and now these things aren't working.

With my alarm/starter the warantee covers labor, maybe call them before you take it in.

Most alarms will come with lifetime warantee (sp?) maybe take it back to the place you got it installed and tell them what happened and what you replaced (the battery), and now these things aren't working.

With my alarm/starter the warantee covers labor, maybe call them before you take it in.

That's actually a good idea. The only problem is all that paperwork, the box and manual from my alarm, and the place where it was installed is at my parents house in MD. I have no idea what the warranty states tho. That's atleast a 2 1/2 hr drive for me. Maybe I'll try finding the time to go home this weekend and get it.

You WANT the "door open" chime and the seatbelt light? :willynilly:

yes I especially want to have the chime for my lights!!! I'm trying to trade my cutty in soon and I'm not sure if they'll catch that. I don't want them to deduct value b/c something stupid like that doesn't work. Other than that, my cutty's in pretty damn good condition for being stored outside 11 out of 12 years.

it's a long shot, but maybe the chime module took a shit? It wouldn't have anything to do with the seatbelt warning light problem, but that usually happens from wear inside the buckle.

it's a long shot, but maybe the chime module took a shit? It wouldn't have anything to do with the seatbelt warning light problem, but that usually happens from wear inside the buckle.

hrrmmm...how much would that be to replace & what would be involved in that if you know Brian?

In reality, I'm more concerned with them finding out the chimes don't work when I go to trade in the cutlass soon, and then they'll deduct value from my car for it. Well looks like I'm gonna call the stealership up the road from my workplace for a diagnostic test. :motz2:

PLEASE keep the suggestions coming if you have any! I can always cancel it!

the chime module in your car is behind the passenger side lower dash/kick panel. It's 2 or 3 screws and it drops down. Chime module will be like a mint green color and plugged into the electrical center with a small wire harness leaving it for the auto-locks. You'll even see the little "speaker grille" on it. If you have access to a U-pull it yard or a parts car, just about any W-car module will plug right in (but may not have the wires for the auto locks)

the chime module in your car is behind the passenger side lower dash/kick panel. It's 2 or 3 screws and it drops down. Chime module will be like a mint green color and plugged into the electrical center with a small wire harness leaving it for the auto-locks. You'll even see the little "speaker grille" on it. If you have access to a U-pull it yard or a parts car, just about any W-car module will plug right in (but may not have the wires for the auto locks)

alright I'll see if i can take a look at that tomorrow when I get home from work. Thanks Brian.