Kicker 12's

RenegadeZ

Kicker Comp CVR 12's.... I'm thinking of running three 2 ohm subs... I usually prefer sealed boxes but the ported box that kicker sales sound pretty damn nice... Putting three subs in a box that is ported for dual subs is not an option. I'm thinking should I just do the sealed box made by myself for the three subs, or should I jus take the time & money to make/have made, a ported box to handle the 3 subs? Just wanna see what u guyz have 2 say (face it I'm going to do what I want) but It's interesting to see what u guys have to say sometimeZ.

Ported boxes will give you more output for a given input power.

Sealed take more power to push, but control the cone better and music sounds cleaner.

It depends on your music style. If you like rap, rock or country, then I would go with a ported. If you like jazz or similar, then I would go with sealed.

The kicker manual provides box and port dimensions. If you are going to make a sealed, you can easily make a ported box. They use rectangular ports, not PVC.

If you are going with 3 subs, you could go with the dual 4 ohms, wire them for 8 ohms each and parallel all 3 together making a 2.67 ohm load for the amp. You could use a 600W-800W 2 ohm mono amp and push them all, each getting about about 1/3 the power. It would save you a bit on the amp. If you went with dual 2 ohms, you could wire them all into a 3 ohm configuration and do the same thing, but you would get a little more power using the 2.67 ohm config. It does not matter much I guess.

Glock

I listen to, everything. Makes me want to lean more to the Sealed box, & porting it wouldnt be a problem....Just brainstorming, opinion appreciated. You've done this before? I'm good with car stereo by no means am I an expert... wanna shed some light on wiring them for "8 ohms each?"

I have played with car stereos for about 15 years. Plus the engineering degree helps a bit too :D

The speakers are dual voice coil. So the 4 Ω version has 2x 4 Ω voice coils (vc). If you wire the 2 vc in series you get 4+4 = 8Ω.

If you wire them in parallel, you get (4*4)/(4+4) = 2Ω

If you wire 3 of them for 8 Ω and connect them in parallel you get 1/((1/8+1/8+1/8 )) = 2.667 Ω which would be a good match for a 2 ohm stable mono amplifier. Since each speaker can handle 200W rms, the power of the amp should be around 200W*3 or 600Wrms.

So if you start adding multiple speakers you need to take into account how you are going to wire them, what their Ω rating is, and what there power handling is. Once you have that answer you can shop for an amp that will match the outputs you are looking for.

Glock