Putting 3.1 heads on a 2.8

NeonHomer

Okay, I just happen to have access to a set of like new 3.1 heads. I was wondering if there is any performance gain to be had by swapping them in place of my 2.8 heads? (i.e. bigger valves, bigger ports, etc etc)

They are from a Cavilier convertible. I think it is a 92 model. I wanna say it is a z34 or something like that. The guy just had the motor rebuilt here about 6 months ago, but he got rear-ended, and the insurance company totaled the car. So I want to see if it is worth pulling them or not.. Also, what about the throttle body? Is it the same diameter?

well, the heads and TB are the exact same. The only differenece in the motors is the stroke. The 2.8 was stroked out to make the 3.1L. However, you could take the heads off the cavalier, get them ported and polished then throw them on your 2.8L. That way, you dont have as much down time on your car, and you got a spare set if you need it. Thats what I would do. And you could port and polish the other TB while you were at it.

-Robby

that is what I thought Brian and I just looked on this site and both the 2.8 and 3.1 have 89mm bores the stroke on the 2.8 is 76mm and the stroke on the 3.1L is 84mm, althought Im sure no really cares

-Robby