What a Surprise. Another ABS Problem, (make that #6).

Curlybandit

Well, after I replaced the FOURTH part for this piece of shit GM disaster of an ABS system they call the Power “bastard†III, I thought my brake problems might be over, at least for a while. Sure enough, one more ABS problem has reared its nasty little head and bit me right in the ass.... again. :? Fist it was the Accumulator and the Accumulator switch. Then it was the right wheel speed sensor (which happens to be buried inside the hub and bearing assembly!!), and then it was the left side!! :evil: Now, I can hear the friggin’ accumulator pump cycling on and off more rapidly than normal, and it’s making this odd whining sound right at the end of its cycle.

Both the ABS and brake lights are shining brightly on my dash, a constant reminder that my brake troubles are far from over. To make matters worse, this new problem of mine is causing the brake pedal to occasionally get hard and I lose friction with the rotors for about a second until they catch again. :bash:

I just got the code pulled. It turns out it’s a 35: Accumulator pump running too long. WTF!! Hopefully this is just a relay or something. I’ve dumped WAY too much money into these brakes.

ok, u people have offically made me scard of my cars braking system, so there absolutly no way to change it over to a newer ABS system contoled by the computer?

Ive really never had a problem with my brakes, well except for during winter when the AUX positive wasnt tight enough and my brake lights were on and I had no ABS in the winter... oooo yes what a fun time that was :lol: but after I figured that out, been working perfect ever since.

I know it seems like a dumb question but is your brake fluid full? I know mines starting to get low and I need to get more to fill it.

I know it seems like a dumb question but is your brake fluid full? I know mines starting to get low and I need to get more to fill it.

Yup. That was one of the first things I checked.

Anyway, luckily I have a friend who is a GM tech who's gonna take a look at it this weekend. He's been my saviour more than a few times in the past. If and when I get this probem sorted out, I'll be sure to post up the outcome.

ok, u people have offically made me scard of my cars braking system, so there absolutly no way to change it over to a newer ABS system contoled by the computer?

You can't change it to ABS VI because the downpipe is in the way.

You CAN change it to Bosch 5.3 or DBC-7 since those are fully self-contained. You'd just have to find a custom mounting spot for it and run custom brakelines to it. Those are better since they're faster 4-channel systems. Most people would probably rather just go to regular brakes than to plumb in one of those.

hmm, iguess if i really wanted to keep this car as an investment, i would do that, cause i love the ABS, but other than that, no, i doubt i would do anything. isnt there a way u can repostition it or anything away from the downpipe? or is it completely impossible, might be somthing id look into if parts became to expensive or rare.

For ABS VI, probably impossible. It's too big. You could possibly mount it remotely, but then you might as well get Bosch 5.3 or DBC-7 if you're going to that much trouble.

hmm, iguess if i really wanted to keep this car as an investment, i would do that, cause i love the ABS, but other than that, no, i doubt i would do anything. isnt there a way u can repostition it or anything away from the downpipe? or is it completely impossible, might be somthing id look into if parts became to expensive or rare.

They already are too expensive, and I'd just say fuck PM3 and convert to the plain brakes, but I forgot how reliant you are on your ABS.

I may have figured out what the problem is. I took the Regal to my mechanic, and he believes that it's the accumulator switch. This is actually not such a big problem because I just replaced it last November, so it should still be under warantee. Hopefully this will be the last of my ABS problems (ya right.... :roll: )

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. So now that I've picked up the Accumulator Pressure Switch, and brought the car over to a GM shop, they tell me that the Accumulator is garbage too.... WTF!! Thank GOD it's under warrantee.

well its the accumulator that always goes bad anyway, there around 100-150$ i think, no to bad i guess, for service every 3-5 years or how ever long they last

well its the accumulator that always goes bad anyway, there around 100-150$ i think, no to bad i guess, for service every 3-5 years or how ever long they last

Uhmmm... Not quite. The one I bought was through my friend who is a GM mechanic. I got his list price of ~$260.00 (CAD). GM's over the counter price is over $500 (CAD). I just replaced the thing in November 2004.