does the gm Strut tower brace

Nick1234

Does this even work. Even though i have it, i don't know. all it does is connect between the two black pates. It doesnt even hit the strut. I feel that i need explanation

I have one on my car, it came from a convertible, and it really does make a difference. It feels way stiffer in corners and taking off ramps at twice the recommended speed is a breeze.

It definetly works. It's especially noticable with FE1 suspension.

Under normal conditions, the entire unibody flexes a bit during cornering, etc, around the strut points. What the strut tower bar does is reinforces the unibody by keeping the strut towers from flexing as much. Stiffer the chassis, stiffer the cornering, because all of the suspensions work is being transfered to the wheels instead of wasted by flexing the body.

Sounds right to me anyway :lol:

Ditto! i love em. without em if you rock the steering back and forth real fast the car usedto roll. now the body roll is a nearly gone. the car feels like it just wants to "point" i cant wait to get polly bushings for the sway bar!!!

Does this even work. Even though i have it, i don't know. all it does is connect between the two black pates. It doesnt even hit the strut. I feel that i need explanation

Try taking it off and driving and see if you notice a difference. It can't hurt.

here's the key... it is a "strut TOWER brace" not a "STRUT brace"

the towers tend to flex, after all, it's thin sheet steel tack-welded together, it's enough strength to keep it together, and enough flexability that it doesn't shatter in a small crash (hitting a curb or the like) the strut tower braces typically* keep the towers closer to their orignial shape and location. so to answer yer question, yes they work, they work very well, if they didn't work, no one would want one.

--Dave.

Didn't do a thing for me, but I like having it. A brace is a brace, you can never have too much bracing.

A properly designed unibody frame by itself is already a rather stiff structure. If these strut towers flexed as much as some of you guys seem to think, then the joke's on us for being dumb enough to buy such structurally poorly designed cars.

... for the record ... I wasn't saying that they flex all that much during normal* driving, just for small accidents they are permitted to flex (absorb some of the impact) and the brace simply allows them be more secure in their orignial locations (transfering the impact to the opposite side of the car). My Lumina as an example is off by about .3 degrees on the left hand side strut tower, which effects the alignment and causes a small pull due to the bad caster on that side, if the car had a strut tower brace durring the accident, I doubt it would have moved quite as much as it had.

--Dave.

the way the car was it, it probably would've saved the one tower from moving so much.. trust me on this, if you saw all the damage on the front quarter, you'd know what I'm talkin' about.

--Dave.

I could feel the difference in my car...The car is tons better than it was when i got it...I added the 3.1 Convertible STB and a rear sway bar from a 1992 Lumina Z34...I find people who ride with me think i go around corners too fast but the car can go much better than that.

• 2 months later...

Actually, your strut tower brace does nothing. Please mail it to me. Or tell me where I can find one. I was thinking about making one...