small tweaks = more power

camkos10101

so about that....what kidna littel free tweaks can i do to add a few HP here and there ? somthign just like turn 'this' bolt 1/2 a turn or whatever adn gain 2 HP.

you guys kno of any for the 3.1 ?!?!

Man I dont know, but if someone does, they really need to let me know!! From what I have seen and think, just a bunch of small (being less than say $200) can do a lot in the end. I am planning on higher ratio rocker arms and an intake. Hopefully after that a 62mm TB. Oh, something cheap is port and polish you upper and lower intake manifolds. Get a kit from like Summit or Jegs and use a die grinder and go at it. You might want to ask somebody just how to do it. I havent' but I will someday. Get your Cat cut or put a high flow one in, they are like 60-80 dollars. Thats all the stuff I know/planning. Basiclly, the only really cheap thing is the port and polish.

Just throw in a ZEX kit and shoot some NOS! That will make you faster! My polished air intake tube and cone filter were cheap and they added a lot. I was impressed. I cut the cat out of the exhaust and that was cheap. I'm in the process of building a 3.1L I polished the lower intake, upper plenum, and the heads. I am having a 3 angle valve job done right now. Then I'm throwing on some 1.6 ratio roller rockers. This stuff wasnt free, but it wasnt too expensive.

Ok, first check all the options before splooging cash into expensive / low output devices... Look all over for info on the 3.1L through here (of course, use the 'Search' function), and other 2.8L / 3.1L performance sites. Remember the L-Body, W-Body, A-Body, J-Body, and other GM platforms had the powerplant.

Otherwise, if you don't mind using the 'juice', NerfBars' idea of using NOS is a great way as well as a supercharger (RSM Racing, but nobody here like their PR), and other goodies you cna find through the network of push-rod V6's. Best thing (if you already haven't) is to do a complete tune up on the motor... start with a baseline and go from there! Best of luck!

- RedFox340

An area I look at to get free power on every car I buy is to modify the air filter box a little, like I added an extra snorkle on my old v8 car for about $5. On these w-bodies the square box isn't bad but the cone inside forces air to flow across only a small portion of the filter. If you cut even a little of the top of the plastic cone inside the box it will allow air to flow accross a larger portion of the filter. K&N drop in filters have the pleats running with the flow vs accross the flow, so this should really help spread the air

linearly also, $40. How much of the cone you cut will change the tone of the engine also because the purpose of that cone is to reduce noise.

Oh I know how well sticking an extra snorkel on the old air cleaner works. When my GP was stock, I was in search of power, so I grafted on a second snorkel and stuck a hose on the stock restricted one. The new one I had put on was much larger. Using the trusty Vericom computer, my 0-60 times dropped from 10.88 (+ or - .1 in 7 runs) to 10.05 (+ or - .15 after 10 runs). Even the tires would chirp now on take off :lol: That was with JUST a hose on the stock side.

So, ok, I have a question then, about the stock air box, has anyone stuck on a hose that led to under the front bumper or to anywhere that it can get really fresh/cooler air?

Now my next question is, does the newer computer really know how to compensate for the changes? I guess that question works for all of the mods. Does/can the computer see the changes and compensate for the better? or is doing all this stuff to a 97+ car a waste of time?

About the hose going to below the car....my brother did.

Theres a website out there (cant remember now) where this guy has a Plymouth Sundance or Dodge Shoadow. He bassicly put 4 on there.

My brotherss airbox sits on top of his TB, on top of the morot. He cut a hole into it, then routed heater/drying machine duct (it looks like Alum. Foil wrapped arround a big sllinki (or spring)

this then went under the bumper, and he made a little grill for it so objects dont fly in.

The only dowfall was fatal almost to his car. The stock airbox and hose went along the fender, whre the computer was. It used the air to cool the compuer. Since he bypassed it, his car would ALWAYS think it was overheating and run bad, but he did get a boost somewhat in power.

Jon

Yeah, but only if its like that stock. This was in a 90 PLymouth Sundance RS. I would think that if anything is inline from the stock airbox back, make sure it is in that in your new setup. But it shouldnt make any diffence from the airbox to the botom of the car. I was thinking about doing it to mine, but dont really know....No real need for it I guess.

That, and to me it looked tacky. I would want it hiddent on mine. Also, in mine, theres like no room to do anything at all. His car, you can almost put your arms arround the engine adn tranny.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

the reason why his sundance ran like crap is that the mopar ecu also does tripple duty...computer... incoming air temp sensor and mass air flow meter... taking away the air flow to it casing the car to think it's at idle so it runs lean.... the ecu on the 2.8/ 3.1/ 3100 dont do this ..they have seperate sensors

Yeah, i told him it was a stupid idea. My dad riped it off the next week, when working on the car.

Not knowing if this was the cause or not, the Head broke. So we put a 2.2 out of a Dynasty in. Then it was rear ended, and people come today to prounuce it dead or repariable (looking at the rear semi-frame, its gone. Springs are bent, frame it bent 2 places, cracked in one). Seriously, if you slaped that car right now it would fall apart exec. for all the oil holding it together