Possible to Convert Gen1 rear disks to '97-up GP style?

94CutlassSLCoupe

Is it possible to change out the rear disks on our Gen 1 cars to the style like on my mom's '97 Grand Prix GT...specifically the Drum-in-hat parking brake...the calipers and rotors do not seem to be different enough that it would require an ABS/MC change.

If I remember right, the rear hubs are even the same design (4 bolts, rectangular pattern)....

Just trying to get some ideas just incase I get the '92 International Series

Unfortunately, the caliper mount is on the knuckle itself. I once asked someone with spare 97+ rear knuckles to check on the compatibility and he told me it wouldn't work.

well...the DIH parking brake is a far superior design compared to the racheting caliper...plus, its not like these things are that hard to find in junkyards anymore since they have been in production for 8 years.

I think I actually saw a shot of a Gen 1 car that someone installed the complete gen 2 strut assembly in.

When the rotors do have high Disk Thickness Variation (that causes the pedal plulsation) the 2nd gen rotors cost about $37/piece compared to $18 for the cheapies. "warping" doesn't really happen...its just the thickness variation disk faces on the rotors.

I work at a company that does braking systems.

I really can't think of much that would make the Gen II knuckle much different from the Gen I...what does the Gen 1.5 have for a knuckle? Same as the Gen I?

well...the DIH parking brake is a far superior design compared to the racheting caliper...plus, its not like these things are that hard to find in junkyards anymore since they have been in production for 8 years.

I think I actually saw a shot of a Gen 1 car that someone installed the complete gen 2 strut assembly in.

When the rotors do have high Disk Thickness Variation (that causes the pedal plulsation) the 2nd gen rotors cost about $37/piece compared to $18 for the cheapies. "warping" doesn't really happen...its just the thickness variation disk faces on the rotors.

I work at a company that does braking systems.

I really can't think of much that would make the Gen II knuckle much different from the Gen I...what does the Gen 1.5 have for a knuckle? Same as the Gen I?

wait what? Warping doesn't happen? Why is it that the gen 1 rotors dont have any signs or warpage until many miles later? Mine just started to screw up and it's been about 10k, I'm getting sick of it personally cause I'm really not hard on the brakes.

The gen 1.5 has the same as gen-1 on the front, and ""generally"" the same on the rear as far as brakes are concerned. But they have the same setup in the back IIRC.

http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/brakingsystems.htm

Pretty interesting...Learned all this at work...I'm a co-op...

Basically, the Lateral Run Out (LRO) and as an effect, Disk Thickness Variation (DTV) increase, evenutually leading to brake judder (pedal pulsation or pullingO

Basically, what I want to know about the rear suspension (specifically knuckles) is what is the difference between the Gen 1.5 and the Gen 1...I believe the rear suspension on a gen 1.5 is also the same as the gen 2.

Basically if the gen 1.5 uses the same rear suspension as a gen 2, and the gen 1 and gen 1.5 knuckles are interchangable, then gen 2 rear knuckles will work on a gen1

More than anything we should check on FRONT brake compatibility, those 97+ rotors do NOT warp. They're vented much better.

Not only that, but they're quite a bit thicker. 1.25" vs. 1".

The 97+ front brake are definitely not compatible without fabrication. In an earlier thread there's a guy trying to adapt the 97+ front suspension into his Monte, but just to do that takes a lot of fabrication.

If fabrication is involved, I'd rather go with C5 13"x1.25" front rotors and dual piston calipers.

Basically if the gen 1.5 uses the same rear suspension as a gen 2, and the gen 1 and gen 1.5 knuckles are interchangable, then gen 2 rear knuckles will work on a gen1

And where will the ends of the spring sit?

The rear suspension between 1.5 and 2 aren't the same. The knuckle isn't the "same" it's just that they use the same rear brakes, so mounting points for the caliper and offset of the hub is the same. I'm in the middle of reading that article, pretty interesting so far.