Y99 Suspension

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous
Drive an FE1 car, then drive a Y99 car and come back and ask that question.

The 92 has the y99.... im not sure what the 95 GT has, but they both seem the same.

Their is definetly a difference, i've driven an identical car to my old GP that was a 3100 with the regular setup with smaller sway bars and it had like half the mileage and much better tires than my car and after i got back in mine i was like damn i'm glad i have the Y99. Much stiffer in my opinion and my suspension was all original.

Lets just drop that.. I motion Ross take it out of his sig, everyone forgets about it, and we get back on topic..

Never driven a Y99 car.. I will when I eventually get a front swaybar.. lol

Handling parts are cheap enough, $25 for 2 strut bars from GM, $40 for rear trailing arms from GM, then find a 34mm sway bar from a parts car and put that in. While you're at it replace the frame bolts and bushings.

y99 is a Rally Tuned Suspention aka Handling package.

it was used on all the STE turbo models it includes Struts the upgraded Front swaybar the rear swaybar.

But IMO the biggest part of the Y99 is the Quick ratio Stearing.

How can I find out what package I have. I know I have really thick front sway bar. Never checked the back.

Look at the label on the spare tire/wheel well cover. Your car should have "FE1" written on it there.

Guest Gp crazy

Yep I have an 1990 STE non turbo and it has the y99 code. The 1989 GP se with the 5 speed. Noticeable diff. (not better) . It's the way it goes around curves and tight turning radius's nicer. :mrgreen:

TGP is an FE3 car for sure...not sure if its y99...probably doesn't have the 34mm front sway bar

Hell I had a 1988 CS Base with FE3...it even had a bench seat, crank windows, and the base cluster!

TGP is an FE3 car for sure...not sure if its y99...probably doesn't have the 34mm front sway bar

Hell I had a 1988 CS Base with FE3...it even had a bench seat, crank windows, and the base cluster!

TGP's have a 30mm(?) front sway bar, the 34mm one wasn't introduced until 1991 w/ the DOHC cars I think.