Invasion1

Guest TurboSedan

same thing happened to my 3.1 a long time ago :lol: if it's like the 3.1 you need to rent or buy a harmonic balancer puller to remove it.

to reinstall i made myself a home-made balancer installer tool which is simply a longer bolt with washers (presses it onto the crank while you tighten the bolt).

Ironically the same exact thing happened to me a few months back. Those pulleys are famous for doing that. There are two different size pulleys for the Quad4 engine. You need the smaller one, or you will have to change the tensioner to a larger size to make the larger pulley work. I don't remember the exact size but I got one from a guy on the Yahoo! Quadfourm. I paid $40 shipped or something near that. Dealer cost is extremely expensive. Well over $150 for that particular pulley. You do need a balancer puller to remove it, but the install is simple.

yeah the removal is easy.. the hardest part about the whole ordeal is finding a decent pulley to reinstall. all the j/y ones I saw had the same problem. Inspect it really well before you buy it.

I bet you had a great time with that waterpump. :lol: Doesn't the timing cover have to come off? I thought I was going to have to do my chain but it turned out to be the pulley.

I sold that fucker before anything else had a chance to go wrong. I'm sure it's easier to work on in a CS, I had it in a Calais and I was going to yank the engine to do the chain, just to save my fingers. No space between inner fender and timing cover!!

Dave the pn# from GM is 24573264. I can get you one for $113 USD+tax and 10%. Somewhere between $130-$140 brand new. I don't think it's discontinued. Let me know. Shipping will be cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

yup, that tensioner really pissed me off when I was doing the belt. Used a wrench with a pipe on the end so I could get enough leverage to pull it far enough to get it on. Ended up having my father help me. Boy am I glad that thing is gone. Never again with a quad 4.