converting from PM3 to standard brakes, in my 91 GTP, help?

m0sh_man

ok, ive got the PM3 unit removed, and found out it has only 3 lines that run the brakes, so im goign to have to convert the hard lines as well, which isnt a big problem, ive got a 91 lumina euro parts car.

my question is,

Is the ABS tied into the ECM and will i have to have a new chip programed for my car?

91 GTP 3.4L DOHC 5 speed.

i just want everything to work properly.

matthew

No, ABS operates independently of the ECM.

Good luck! I probably need to do this to my TGP. :(

do you want all my ABS stuff?

ive got two PM3 wiring harness's two PM3 master cylinder units, and i think i have two spare front wheel sensors, ill let go for a deal.

i just couldnt get mine to work properly, mostly due to wiring issues with my car.

matthew

How much?

I don't even know what the problem is with mine. If I had to guess, I'd say accumulator, but I can't prove it. Was your accumulator any good?

I need to find its ALDL specs and maybe I can figure out what codes it's storing if any.

Um, I think the GM Accumulators are around $200 and the Prior ones are around $100. I got a new GM one from someone on here, so I'm not really sure of the price.

Thanks, how much do those accumulators cost?

There was mention of a group buy in the TGP section(with quite a few people interested in purchasing them..the prior ones), so maybe we can revive that again as I'm ready to order mine. :?

so far the hard lines and master cylinder will work, but the damn power booster on the lumina is different, it twist's and locks into place, and my grand prix has no provisions for that, im going to the junkyard sometime soon and look at a 89 GP 5 speed they have, and a 92 3.4L auto car they have, and see if either one is compatible with my GP....

this kinda blows.

matthew

Yep, the firewall panel being different is what I've heard is the worst part of the conversion. The right way is to pull the dash and replace the panel. The way to fudge it is to cut or modify the existing firewall panel to accept the vacuum booster.

does the engine have to be removed to get all this stuff out?

ive noticed the hole in the firewall on the lumina is nearly 2x the size of the hole in the grand prix.

what if i pulled the booster from a 3.4L DOHC lumina? would it work, or is it the same twist into place style as the 91 lumina 3.1L im using for parts.

this so far is one big fudging hassle.

can i not just cut the square panel out of the lumina and weld it into the grand prix?

matthew

No, I believe it unbolts from the inside... or if it doesn't, it can be removed from the inside.

No, all vacuum boosters for W-bodies (gen 1 and 2) are twist & lock.

You can try to cut and weld the panel, but I would think you'd have to take the dash out to weld it... if that's the case, you might as well do it right.

I've heard of people just cutting that plate and finding a way to rig the booster in there.

No, I believe it unbolts from the inside... or if it doesn't, it can be removed from the inside.

No, all vacuum boosters for W-bodies (gen 1 and 2) are twist & lock.

You can try to cut and weld the panel, but I would think you'd have to take the dash out to weld it... if that's the case, you might as well do it right.

I've heard of people just cutting that plate and finding a way to rig the booster in there.

Wouldn't you be worried about the booster possibly falling out?!