Hydraulics\Air bags

RedCutlass

This summer I plan on lowering my Cutlass, but I wonder if it'd be better to spend 3 times as much and go w\hydraulics or bag it. Anyone know exactly how much this would cost and were to do it?

I'd go with bags. I saw this thing on TV (wish I remembered the name of the company) but they had a track and had cars with stock suspension and then switched to the airbag suspension (quick setup they had) and the cars took the twisties much better. I think they had some Nascar drivers testing the cars too!

That's strange, everyone with bags I've talked to says they ride much softer and sloppier than springs unless you increase the air pressure, but with increased air pressure you also have increased ride height.

I have NEVER heard of bags improving handling, they normally do the opposite.

the show cbad saw was a custom chassis with air bags. It sure as hell wasn't a w-body! I would go with bags if it were a daily driver, hell even if it wasn't, hydros are sloppy and ride like complete crap. Send me a email if your serious about getting bags, i can set you up with a few numbers to call who can make a kit for our cars. Later Jay

loeridr6792@aol.com

Yeah, hydros ride like having no springs at all since liquid won't compress.

Hydros with accumulators rides like having springs and no shocks.

A properly designed hydropneumatic suspension will give you adjustable ride height, comfort, and outstanding handling. Problem is you won't find anything like that in the aftermarket, you only find that on Citroens. I wish there were aftermarket hydropneumatic suspension kits, but they can't hop or anything silly like that so nobody would buy it.

A properly designed hydropneumatic suspension will give you adjustable ride height, comfort, and outstanding handling. Problem is you won't find anything like that in the aftermarket, you only find that on Citroens. I wish there were aftermarket hydropneumatic suspension kits, but they can't hop or anything silly like that so nobody would buy it.

I'd buy one of the Bose systems that was posted here a while back.

I'd buy one of the Bose systems that was posted here a while back.

Werd.

whats so expensive about doing air bags? I think I saw kits on ebay for a few hundred. My main question is will this even be possible? You hear so much stuff about applications for trucks, but almost nothing for cars. Do you think it would be almost impossible to put an airbag setup on a W?

few hundred? LMFAO!!!! thats just the bags themselves. They work on framed vehicles, not our unibodies. We need air struts, or a combo. The back is easy to do, its the front that is the problem. Kits with everything for our cars come in at about $2500, with compressor, lines, fittings, switch box, valves, tank, etc etc etc. I wish they were a few hundred, but i think you were mistaken.

Many cars have air kits, my friends 2004 monte carlo has them as do a shit load of cars around here. It is much easier to put air ride on a import only because they have kits, we sort of get a universal kit.

Check the recent posts (GROUP BUYS)

for front and rear springs.

Total cost about $300 plus labor and time.

The car would still be drivable when finished....

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to hop and I feel if your gonna do it, do it right

BUT with these w-bodies man they got 2 much electronics and too much weight in a FWD that creaks enough as is, I think it would be a recipe for disappointment

Fisrt off you don't hop FWD cars!!!! and if your car is creaking that bad you might want to look at your fron suspension, and the cradle bolts

You tell them Steve-Dave

Fisrt off you don't hop FWD cars!!!! and if your car is creaking that bad you might want to look at your fron suspension, and the cradle bolts

You tell them Steve-Dave

i guess i'm lost on that one :?:

I KNOW you dont hop FWD's, thats exactly what I'm saying

when I worked at nurse cadillax we had a guy in a hydraulic 99 STS that was ALWAYS in for electrical and tuneup, we also had a guy from the buccaneers who bought a escalade while up here visitin his girlfriend, dont know the name cuz I hate football but he had a 03 escalade (obviously not FWD) and did hydraulics and spinners. he had to replace the ECU twice, a few onboard components, sensors out the ying yang etc etc. moral to the story dont hop somthin with electronics especially FWD!

I would only hop a true lowrider ie RWD pre 87

• 3 weeks later...

arg. i had a bagged s-10. air bags ride like heaven. the quality of the ride depends on what psi your at, and your rear suspension. if your riding air over leaf, its shitty. if you do a proper 4 link or even 3 link it rides good. depending on what psi your driving at depends on your handling.

i have never looked into bagging a w-body though. i dont know much about their suspension. but i would think it would be kind of hard with the unileaf in the back?? i dunno. that would be awsome to drive into school laying body in my cutlass.

Horsepower TV on SpikeTV installed a complete airbag set-up on an old Impala and improved the ride and handling by a lot. Then again, they compared the handling to the old factory suspension.

You tell them Steve-Dave

Hey, fuck you fanboy!!

regardless, its a Mallrats thing. best movie ever.

They may ride good, but I can't imagine them handling good. Guys with bags on another forum have said if you want handling, go static. The only way to stiffen the bag springs to reduce body roll is to increase air pressure, and when you do that, ride height goes up increasing the center of gravity. That's exactly the opposite of what you want to do to improve handling.

theres one guy and cardomain that has a cutlass, around a '95 I think and I do believe hhe has hydros on his car. Ill try to find the webpage and post it once I get out of school/work. unless someone else finds it first :lol: