O

Invasion1

there is a rubber insulator on the top and bottom of the struts.. are the lining properly on those parts? the rubber insulator on the bottom has an edge that is used to hold the spring in place, located on what you might call the perch of the knuckle assembly. The upper mount will twist into position, seating against the end point of the last coil on the top. It's been a while since I did a w's struts, but thats how it was IIRC.

the last strut work I did was on a 99 N Body Grand Am.. the struts on that all around were very similar to the rears on my TGP. When I positioned the springs on the GA they looked somewhat crooked to the strut shaft. So there is no compression of the spring when installing the Intrax, nice!! Little less work to do when I do mine..

If you take a look at the top mount, you will see that is is not perfectly round, IIRC they are angled so when they are installed they will sit flush with the tower in the car. Can you take a pic of what you are referring to as the problem?

When you install the top mount, it should lock into place, a sort of rubber lip that the spring rests against. It will turn until it reaches that spot and then its in place. They line themselved up when you install them IIRC.

I dont think you have to worry about those struts bottoming out.. again it was on an N body, but when I got the new struts, Monro Sensatracs, they were fully compressed into the cartridge, you had to turn them a certain way and remove a clip to allow them to extend outward. That shouldnt be an issue.

Is there a gap when you install the upper mount? Is it going into place, and when it is in place does it look crooked? The GA's springs didn't look proper, but with the upper mount in place it straightened it out. The weight of the car will bring them down farther into the lower seat and compress that spring. Do you have a pic of the assembly together with mounts on the top?

let me see a pic so I will know what I will be working with

So the mount on top is separating? I guess I have to see what is happening to understand.. I'm more of a visual learner.

I saw a knockoff ball joint today at a buddy's house.. those kits don't look like they'd be too bad to install. Knock out the rivets and its just assembly. I'm going to do two on my new knuckles..

Are they seating properly now? What was the problem? I'm anxious to see how they look when seated. Did you take a before pic to compare with the after? Or do you still not have an engine in it?

oh well Dave, at least you know it will be solid when you put that torque to the ground in a few weeks/months. I'm looking forward to working on mine.. I've been planning some things for months, and I need to finish up a few things that I "overlooked" last year just to get it running.

• 2 weeks later...