Trying to decide what to do with this STE... (Long)

dbtk2

I don't really have all the parts because I had to modify some of the stock topend stuff to get the 3100 topend to work. (the solid coolant line, the metal intake hose that comes from the IC, fuel lines, and a few other small misc. things) The exhaust manifolds have been ported to match the 3100 heads so I'd have to find new ones of those. I have stuff like the stock chip, stock t-stat, stock crank pulley, the major parts of the topend (although the heads would need to be rebuilt, thats why I did the topend swap 'cause I had it apart anyways), the stock cam, stock intake tubes and airbox, but I would never be putting this stuff back in. Plus the exhaust could never be stock (the mufflers had holes in them anyways), I'd have to buy a different one. The AC condensor has half the fins missing, as I did the mod for more flow to the IC. It could be made mostly stock with everything I have, but honestly its not worth the time or effort to make it stock IMO.

Shawn

I was thinking about the upper and lower intake.. but hey I probably wouldnt put it back either....

The reaction drum is what you striped right?

Well WE ALL have to knock on Jeffs door and protest about the clutch kits/ parts he's been prommising :mrgreen: . :lol:

Well like any stop and go tranny with almost 100K miles..you will have to spend more than what your typical build needs. Trans shops that have alot of work on their hands will just usually replace clutches/bands and what ever hard part broke. Some might even put a shift kit if you ask or if your lucky they will put it without you saying so. but the thing is that other part weare/leak.

For a high perfomance rebuild..you would need to littrally make your valve body new. New valves, accumulators..ect, rebuild pump. Then new servos. Like this..theres no weak link to the new rebuild or hidden defect. Sonnax has most parts you need. As far as shift kits..try transgo or Superior. Protest to jeff about his shift kits...Give us a beta kit atleast :lol: .

On the bands..the only company I know that has good bands is Raybestos..the Kevlar Power bands. Eagle has some good bands..but I dont know if they make it for our trans.

On cluches..stock holds nice..but Red clutches and Kolene steels would be ideal. Give Raybestos a call..they might help you out. Other than that...J&M studios.

New prag of corse.

Check all clerances. Use steel shims on the diff. Get new harded final drive sungear from sonnax and replace the cross shaft on the diff..im sure its worn from your lead foot :shock: :P .

Might want to check the TQ converter too. Rebuild with harder stator, new beaings, new lock up friction...or better friction. ?? I heard the carbon ones hold nice.

Easy eh.. :lol: I'm still cleanning inspecting my 3t40. Good news is I just need a new 1-2 accumulator, valves and pump drive shaft. Is a long learning experiance.

But what ever you do don't paint your tranny PINK :lol: . :wink:

I have no idea what I stripped, if it helps the car still had 2nd & 4th gear and I drove it home after it broke. I can take a pic of it and post it when I get the chance, but I have no idea what its called. I don't know shit about how auto trannies work. I know when it was rebuilt the first time, they replaced quite a bit of hard parts (they threw away a fairly large box full of the old ones), used heavy duty rebestos (sp?) clutches, a brand new valve body, shift kit, etc.. The torque convertor looked good as far as I could tell (but like I said, I don't know much about trannies) and they said it looked good. As far as a shift kit, I don't even see why one is necessary. My STE has always barked the tires into 2nd gear until I got my last set of tires (they are a LOT stickier), why would it need to shift better than that? Even after it was rebuilt with the valve body gasket in backwards it still grabbed 2nd hard.

I can put a tranny in a car, and I can do pretty much anything that needs to be done to the engine, but when it comes to building automatic trannies I'm pretty clueless. I would've done it myself if I had the first clue of what I'm doing.

Shawn

I have no idea what I stripped, if it helps the car still had 2nd & 4th gear and I drove it home after it broke. I can take a pic of it and post it when I get the chance, but I have no idea what its called.

Input sprag and roller clutch? They both go inside two clutch packs.

Well pic would always be nice.

Those shift kits are not just for "better" shifts, they fix commen probles too. Like on my trany..they apply more oil to direct clutches when engaged and 3time more on the intermidiate band to keep it open. My tranny has an issue where the intermidiate band and direct cluches engage at the same time, causing both to fail. They also make the intermidiate band apply faster to keep the tranny form going to nutral or 1st when I only wanted passing gear.